Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    can someone please offer some insight as to how the lessons are? i'm considering doing politics as a combined honours with a modern language, and i've read about it on the site of the uni i'm interested in, but i'd like some personal input from current students.

is it about memorizing? is there lots of focus on history, or more modern? is it difficult? is it interesting, are you being taught well? if possible, please do mention which university you're studying at!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by khitman)
    can someone please offer some insight as to how the lessons are? i'm considering doing politics as a combined honours with a modern language, and i've read about it on the site of the uni i'm interested in, but i'd like some personal input from current students.

is it about memorizing? is there lots of focus on history, or more modern? is it difficult? is it interesting, are you being taught well? if possible, please do mention which university you're studying at!
    Hiya!
    I just finished my degree in English Lit and International Relations at Reading, so a combined honours like you're considering
    IR at Reading is quite similar to Politics, and you can take the same modules (IR just has a few different core modules than Politics), so I hope my input is useful. I loved my degree, it was so interesting and really engaging. It was a lot of learning concepts and applying them to modern day and past political situations. There is some memorization, but it's more about theories and ideas than learning something off by heart. You can specialize later on in your degree in relation to the time period or specific subject that interests you (i.e. IR, political philosophy, strategy, etc), but in the first year you are definitely learning the ropes. Go for it, it's a great degree! And gives you lots of transferable skills
    Anja

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.