Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If you could afford it would you hire a maid Watch

ReputationRep:
    To clean up the house,wash the clothes,dishes etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matthewduncan)
    To clean up the house,wash the clothes,dishes etc
    And this is in "Relationships" because...?

ReputationRep:
    I would hire Maid Marian

Spoiler:
    Show
    She's free of charge :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, i am awful around the house.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    No, I think it advocates laziness

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harvey Dent)
    And this is in "Relationships" because...?
    Because the people that tend to hire maids are couples.
    Its a question for those who are in relationships really

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't like the idea of someone being able to look through my things
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    A maid and a nanny, yes.
    • Welcome Squad

Yes. Nothing wrong with giving someone a job.
    Also a cook.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Who wouldn't?!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Maybe, if I did I wouldn't let her/him cook for me out of fear of her/him poisoning me of my family...
    Actually no. I always wanted to have a lot of money but still live in a semi/detached house in a safe, sensible area, not some mansion up in the hills and a maid wouldn't fit the picture because it would be overkill.:naughty:
    Also your children would be spoilt rotten, never having to do chores, for me it is just odd...
    Well that was my 2p

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matthewduncan)
    Because the people that tend to hire maids are couples.
    Its a question for those who are in relationships really
    You neglected to mention that in your OP. Perhaps this should be moved to the "Advice" forum.

ReputationRep:
    From personal experience, it requires you put a lot of trust in the maid. We've had two, and the first tried (and succeeded) in stealing money from my parents and running back to the Philippines. The second was lovely though.

You forget that the maids spend a lot of time at home (more time than the rest of the family) and so if you're not careful, things can get stolen.

Personally I won't get a maid as it won't be necessary, and the only reason my parents did was due to them both working and not having enough time to do the cleaning, ironing, cooking etc.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr...)
    Maybe, if I did I wouldn't let her/him cook for me out of fear of her/him poisoning me of my family...

Also your children would be spoilt rotten, never having to do chores, for me it is just odd...
    Well that was my 2p
    Omg, I actually laughed at the first bit. Yeesh :mmm:

I agree with the next bit because I want my children to know how to clean up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yh we have one
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karmacrunch)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It isn't a real fear, but the paranoia would crop up to me at some point ad I would end up firing everyone on the grounds of suspicion because the chicken's seasoning tasted "poisony" :toofunny:
    It is just basic discipline to be honest, I want my kids to be very well off, but not to the point where...http://m.memegen.com/rk1vsh.jpg

ReputationRep:
    Yes. My husband and I work opposite shifts and have 2 days off together a month. The tidying is left to whoever is at home with our two very young children but inevitably it never gets finished. Having a maid once a week or fortnight would just help aleiviate some of the stress we already endure trying to maintain a happy and tidy house for our children.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr...)
    It isn't a real fear, but the paranoia would crop up to me at some point ad I would end up firing everyone on the grounds of suspicion because the chicken's seasoning tasted "poisony" :toofunny:
    It is just basic discipline to be honest, I want my kids to be very well off, but not to the point where...http://m.memegen.com/rk1vsh.jpg
    Yeah I agree, I probably wouldn't want anyone (maid) to cook for me either. "Poisony"<-:laugh:

Neither, they'll never get any where near that stage though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karmacrunch)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh and my kids do put their toys away and put things back after use. The maid would be for bathroom and kitchen cleaning which is very important for hygiene but often difficult to do when the kids are awake! Try comforting an 18 month old who has just bumped his head mid toilet clean!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Don't think so, if I had the money I'd probably do something else with it.
    I'd find it a bit weird if someone else was in my house more than I was and I don't really like the idea of someone doing everything for me

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.