Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I have a few books that i want to sell on amazon as a one off. i have never sold on amazon before and i was wondering if i need to calculate the VAT for each of the books i'm selling and add it on to the price of my products or not?
    I have found this link that seems to say that in the UK i do not need to add VAT on to the books but can someone confirm this for me please?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cust...?nodeId=502578
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cust...deId=200135940
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    Amazon does VAT calculations for you, you don't add anything as a marketplace seller. There isn't any VAT anyway on books, unless they contain CDs/DVDs, in which case Amazon knows about it and auto-calculates the VAT for you. Unless you are a registered VAT trader in the UK, or are turning over more than £81K a year, you don't need to bother about it.

So basically, just set the price you want to offer them for and leave the rest to Ammie.

I often sell DVDs, CDs and books that I no longer need on Amazon and find it quite a helpful thing, but they take a fair amount in commission.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    I often sell DVDs, CDs and books that I no longer need on Amazon and find it quite a helpful thing, but they take a fair amount in commission.
    ebay takes a flat 10% commission, you could look into that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jingers)
    ebay takes a flat 10% commission, you could look into that?
    Sure. It's swings and roundabouts - things don't sell as quickly or as reliably on Ebay as they do on Amazon and there tend to be more hassles with the former - at least, that's been my experience. I don't do it a lot though, so perhaps experienced Ebay sellers manage it better.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Amazon does VAT calculations for you, you don't add anything as a marketplace seller. There isn't any VAT anyway on books, unless they contain CDs/DVDs, in which case Amazon knows about it and auto-calculates the VAT for you. Unless you are a registered VAT trader in the UK, or are turning over more than £81K a year, you don't need to bother about it.

So basically, just set the price you want to offer them for and leave the rest to Ammie.

oh right okay its just that i read somewhere on there that sellers were responsible for VAT, but since there isn't any for books anyway i guess its fine.
    also i was wondering, when you sell an item how do you find out the buyer's address?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tgwktm)
    oh right okay its just that i read somewhere on there that sellers were responsible for VAT, but since there isn't any for books anyway i guess its fine.
    also i was wondering, when you sell an item how do you find out the buyer's address?
    When you get a sale, you click on the item in your orders menu and it's all there, seller address label gets printed off with the packing note. Pretty easy really. You click on 'Confirm Despatch' when you have sent it and the end user gets a message saying it's on the way.

Good luck with the selling.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    When you get a sale, you click on the item in your orders menu and it's all there, seller address label gets printed off with the packing note. Pretty easy really. You click on 'Confirm Despatch' when you have sent it and the end user gets a message saying it's on the way.

Good luck with the selling.
    oh right thank you. just one question, what other things do i need to include in the parcel other than what i am selling? would i have to print an invoice or something and include it?

ReputationRep:
    oh right thank you. just one question, what other things do i need to include in the parcel other than what i am selling? would i have to print an invoice or something and include it?
    Yeah, there's a packing note that goes in the packet you send.

Don't worry too much, as it's easy to follow once you sell something. It appears as a number of unshipped items. You click on the number and it goes to the Unshipped Orders page. Click on the Print Packing Slip button and you get a slip with the address at the top and the packing slip at the bottom - you cut the top off and stick it on as the address label. When you have packed and sent it, you click Confirm Despatch in the same place.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, there's a packing note that goes in the packet you send.

Don't worry too much, as it's easy to follow once you sell something. It appears as a number of unshipped items. You click on the number and it goes to the Unshipped Orders page. Click on the Print Packing Slip button and you get a slip with the address at the top and the packing slip at the bottom - you cut the top off and stick it on as the address label. When you have packed and sent it, you click Confirm Despatch in the same place.
    oh right okay, thank you for all your help
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:

hi again sorry to bother you but i found some information on the amazon help site that has confused me a bit. at the bottom of this page (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cust...nodeId=3149301) under the heading 'VAT on the items you sell' it says i will be responsible for determining VAT on my items i sell. does this mean i do need to add VAT? have you ever had to do so in your experience?

ReputationRep:
    hi again sorry to bother you but i found some information on the amazon help site that has confused me a bit. at the bottom of this page (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cust...nodeId=3149301) under the heading 'VAT on the items you sell' it says i will be responsible for determining VAT on my items i sell. does this mean i do need to add VAT? have you ever had to do so in your experience?
    It's just a standard legal disclaimer to cover their backsides. I really wouldn't worry about this - it's not something that arises for the great majority of sellers. Especially when all you are selling is books, which are VAT-exempt anyway. Most people who sell on Amazon are not VAT-liable, because they aren't VAT registered. If you are VAT registered, that's different. If you aren't, ignore it as you would never have to pay VAT on things you sell anyway, unless you went over £80K a year in sales.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    It's just a standard legal disclaimer to cover their backsides. I really wouldn't worry about this - it's not something that arises for the great majority of sellers. Especially when all you are selling is books, which are VAT-exempt anyway. Most people who sell on Amazon are not VAT-liable, because they aren't VAT registered. If you are VAT registered, that's different. If you aren't, ignore it as you would never have to pay VAT on things you sell anyway, unless you went over £80K a year in sales.
    ah okay thank you. i wish they'd make all this more clear on their website. do i need to worry about VAT on postage as well or will that be sorted out by royal mail anyway?
    thanks again, i feel like i am being a pain asking all this, i just want to make sure i do everything correctly

ReputationRep:
    ah okay thank you. i wish they'd make all this more clear on their website. do i need to worry about VAT on postage as well or will that be sorted out by royal mail anyway?
    thanks again, i feel like i am being a pain asking all this, i just want to make sure i do everything correctly
    Not sure why this is worrying you so much. :confused: You aren't VAT registered. Therefore you don't have to think about VAT, period. When Amazon sell it for you, they automatically add an element for the postage, calculated differently for every item sold on Amazon and charge it to the end buyer. You get a percentage of the postal cost added to your account. You stipulate the postal method you are using to send it out. (I generally just send stuff second class Royal Mail, as that meets the delivery standard unless otherwise stated.) You mail the item and that's it. You get the money after a couple of weeks from Amazon into your bank account. Period. Nothing more to worry about!

Anyways, postage is VAT-exempt.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.