Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cubic equations - determining the nature of roots Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi so I've been working on the Oxford uni maths bridging material and was wondering if there is a simpler way to determine the nature of roots of a standard cubic ax^3+bx^2+cx+d=0

I know that a discriminant exists for cubics,

but this seems tricky to remember and I believe it would be better to ''understand'' why this formula is true, or use graphs, turning points etc to determine the nature of roots (if that is possible)

tl;dr can someone tell me how I'd go about proving this discriminant or how I'd use other methods to determine the natural of roots of a polynomial like x^3+px+q=0
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plusC)
    tl;dr can someone tell me how I'd go about proving this discriminant or how I'd use other methods to determine the natural of roots of a polynomial like x^3+px+q=0
    In this case you have a depressed cubic. You can solve it using the identity x^3+y^3+z^3-3xyz=(x+y+z)(x^2+y^2+z^2-xy-xz-yz).

You can use a substitution of the form x=X-A to transform any cubic equation into a depressed cubic.

For example x^3+3x^2+5x-1=0 can be transformed into X^3+2X-4=0 using the substitution x=X-1.

On the other hand, I don't think anyone expects you to memorise the discriminant. If you ever need it you can look it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BabyMaths)
    In this case you have a depressed cubic. You can solve it using the identity x^3+y^3+z^3-3xyz=(x+y+z)(x^2+y^2+z^2-xy-xz-yz).

You can use a substitution of the form x=X-A to transform any cubic equation into a depressed cubic.

For example x^3+3x^2+5x-1=0 can be transformed into X^3+2X-4=0 using the substitution x=X-1.

On the other hand, I don't think anyone expects you to memorise the discriminant. If you ever need it you can look it up.
    Oh I see and from here -3yz=p and q=y^3+z^3 yes? and then presumably I can use these to find the values of y and z in terms of p and q (or do I need more?)

Apart from that useful tip, how would I determine the nature of roots of a depressed cubic, take the discriminant of the quadratic formed and compare it to the other factor? or use the formula obviously
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plusC)
    Oh I see and from here -3yz=p and q=y^3+z^3 yes? and then presumably I can use these to find the values of y and z in terms of p and q (or do I need more?)

Apart from that useful tip, how would I determine the nature of roots of a depressed cubic, take the discriminant of the quadratic formed and compare it to the other factor? or use the formula obviously
    You could also think about stationary points.

ReputationRep:
    You could also think about stationary points.
    And lastly say if you calculated some stationary points but the solution to dy/dx=0 was actually imaginary e.g. x^2=-p/3 for p>0 which yields imaginary solutions, how would you then determine the number of roots the cubic has if its turning points aren't real? thanks
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plusC)
    And lastly say if you calculated some stationary points but the solution to dy/dx=0 was actually imaginary e.g. x^2=-p/3 for p>0 which yields imaginary solutions, how would you then determine the number of roots the cubic has if its turning points aren't real? thanks
    I've been assuming that your a,b,c and d are real.

If there's no real x such that dy/dx=0 what does the graph of y=ax^3+bx^2+cx+d look like?

How many real roots are there then? How many complex roots?

ReputationRep:
    I've been assuming that your a,b,c and d are real.

If there's no real x such that dy/dx=0 what does the graph of y=ax^3+bx^2+cx+d look like?

How many real roots are there then? How many complex roots?
    Yeah they are real, I'm not quite sure but if it doesn't turn would it be like a curvy straight line, or are there points of inflexion to consider

I'm going to take a guess and say a complex conjugate and one real root (there must be at least one real solution so crosses an axis once but never turns)

Is this right?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plusC)
    Is this right?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plusC)
    Hi so I've been working on the Oxford uni maths bridging material and was wondering if there is a simpler way to determine the nature of roots of a standard cubic ax^3+bx^2+cx+d=0

I know that a discriminant exists for cubics,

but this seems tricky to remember and I believe it would be better to ''understand'' why this formula is true, or use graphs, turning points etc to determine the nature of roots (if that is possible)

If you've eliminated the x^2 term by a translation, then the discriminant is a lot easier to remember and for such a cubic is easy to derive by looking at where the cubic's stationary points are (in relation to the x-axis)..

Another method of solution though - for such a depressed cubic - is to substitute in x = k cos(t) where k is chosen so that the resulting expression in a multiple of cos(3t). This method works fine for complex roots as well provided you know a little about the complex trig functions.

What bridging material are you using by the way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichE)
    If you've eliminated the x^2 term by a translation, then the discriminant is a lot easier to remember and for such a cubic is easy to derive by looking at where the cubic's stationary points are (in relation to the x-axis)..

Another method of solution though - for such a depressed cubic - is to substitute in x = k cos(t) where k is chosen so that the resulting expression in a multiple of cos(3t). This method works fine for complex roots as well provided you know a little about the complex trig functions.

What bridging material are you using by the way?
    Oh interesting alternate method - will be sure to keep it in mind and try it out later, I'm using this:

https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/prospecti...ate/background quite interesting and helpful

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.