Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

advice on pulling out of training contract after accepting it Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm in potentially a bit of a tricky situation atm and was hoping to get some advice from people who have experienced the industry.

Basically, I applied last year to a good silver circle firm around August. Turns out they were the only ones open at the time and so I applied as a bit of a warm-up for the main applications in October. Luckily I got in - and of course they only gave me a month to make my mind up. So I ultimately accepted.

However having talked to people over this past year in the industry, I've now applied to the Magic circle and american firms. They've said that for CV the place you train is pretty important, and that I should make sure I'm not selling myself short. They've also suggested I'm a strong candidate so should get a top-tier offer as well.

My question is - say I get an offer from a magic circle or american outfit by the end of August - how should I approach it?

I am starting my GDL in September too bear in mind.

Currently I'm thinking if I get an offer I should do as follows:
    1. contact the College of Law and ask if they can hold my place - and explain I'm switching funding providers. Should get a good idea of the financial situation with this chat.
    2. contact silver circle firm, apologise, make my excuses, and say I'll return any money they've paid me thus far (just a language bursary). Also say I'm pulling out now as it'll be easy to replace me with their current applications process.
    3. If all things go well, I can then accept the new offer

Views?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's all good.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should make sure that the MC and US firms are content with you doing this. For instance, I know that one of them gives the following advice:

No, we will not interview anyone who has accepted a training contract with another firm. We are signatories to the SRA’s 'Voluntary code to good practice in the recruitment of trainee solicitors', which states that, "Once a student has accepted an offer, the student must inform all other employers who have made an offer or invited them to attend for interview and make no further applications for a training contract".

ReputationRep:
    I don't even think it is good advice that where you TRAIN is important, especially when you are effectively comparing MC against SC. The training, the experience and the effect on your CV will be very similar. Far better to keep the TC you've got (and not lose a year) then, if you still want to have an MC firm on your CV, move from your firm to an MC firm once you are one or two years qualified. It isn't especially hard to do - the turnover at MC firms is such that there is a need for a supply of qualified lawyers from other reputable firms.

ReputationRep:
    You might just want to be careful that the MC and US firm don't get scared off by the fact that you supposedly committed to a firm and have now changed your mind. Although obviously you wouldn't, in their view they might not want to take a risk with you in case you do the same to them. They're likely to want people who are committed, so just tread carefully with what you say to them about your situation.

This isn't just me saying this, a friend of mine was in this situation recently as she fell out of love with her firm and we spoke to a number of tutors on the LPC about it, and they highlighted the above. Best of luck though, i hope you get a TC where you want

ReputationRep:
    As a current trainee I have to say this all sounds a bit foolish.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, there's nothing to stop you doing this but it would piss the silver circle firm off no end. Especially it's not like you've got another offer from the same application cycle - you've actually accepted an offer, and then gone away and applied elsewhere a whole year later on the basis that you can "do better". How on earth did you manage to convince the silver circle firm you were genuinely interested in them??

As others have said, there's a voluntary code of good practice that firms generally abide by when making offers. If enough people like yourself don't play by the rules, the system collapses. If the magic circle and US firms find out what you've done, I doubt they will be too impressed: it shows an incredible lack of loyalty.

I say: suck it up. You've committed to a silver circle firm - that will stand you in excellent stead for the rest of your career, and as this article shows, many people "trade up" a tier on qualification anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I think you are extremely lucky and should do the honourable thing and stick with the firm you already accepted... It shows loyalty and good character.

Can I just ask what your situation is (degree etc..)? Just because I am just about to withdraw from the GDL as I have been unable to secure the funds for the fees and have not had any luck with any TCs at all and have basically been told on here to just give up trying really...

Congratulations on what you have achieved so far.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    The MC/US firms will all be signed up to the voluntary code of practice, so if they find out you have another TC they won't interview you. Also, even if you did do it HR at all these firms know one another, unless you plan to jump straight IH you could store up problems for any moves as a NQ.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.