Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sex shouldn't be your source of happiness Watch

ReputationRep:
    As a guy who is a virgin, recently I have been trying hard to meet girls online etc for the sole purpose for it all to lead to sex. This is because I believed this would make me happy as a person. But recently I've been thinking that you shouldn't rely on sex or losing your virginity as a source of happiness, because at the end of the day it will make you desperate for it and lose your focus on other more important things in life.

Obviously I'm not saying sex isn't great (not that I know haha), but that if your a virgin like me then don't think of sex as a source of happiness. If you meet girls and be genuine towards them, without coming across as a desperate sex freak, then you'll probably come across less awkward and more confident, and outcomes of sex will enhance your happiness, not create your happiness .

ReputationRep:
    You're so obviously still totally obsessed and just think that not caring will magically make it happen, like a kind of internal metagame

ReputationRep:
    Our species propagates via sexual reproduction so of course genes that conferred traits most conducive to the desire of sex were favoured (I am grossly oversimplifying this to save myself ten hours of typing nuances).

Should you be slave to them? Well, are you slave to consuming sugar? Yes, we all are - without it we would die. Are you a slave to oxygen? Yup.

True, we need those things to survive, but we need sex for our genes 'to survive' (again some more simplifying) and if you study evolution some more you'll find that your survival is less important than gene propagation (sorry, more simplifying).

Basically, whilst I don't think sex should be your only source of happiness, I definitely think it's okay to rely on it as A source of happiness. As it happens, I've a very high sex drive such as yourself, but what you realise is that sex will make you temporarily happy.

Gandhi said something like, "live like there is no tomorrow; learn like you will live forever", so it's really about finding the right balance of being happy in the moment, and being happy in general. If, like almost everyone, you cannot have sex more than a few hours a day then that means you need something to do in the remaining twenty or so hours.

It's tougher for the average guy to get the average girl to have sex with him than the other way around, true. So what you need to do is just find those easy skanks - and trust me, there are PLENTY of them around. Of course, it depends on what you want from life. Do you JUST want sex? Seems like it from your comment. But what if you also intend on being a public figure? You can't just do it with anyone then.

Try not to be fake with them; make it clear you're only in it for sex. Most women will be repulsed, even if you're decent looking, but there are enough out there for you to just have a 'casual' relationship with.

Edit: Actually let me give you some quick advice. The majority of women can have sex with the majority of men just by saying the word - you need to either find that tiny minority, or give some of the majority a reason to choose you over another.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo radical one)
    You're so obviously still totally obsessed and just think that not caring will magically make it happen, like a kind of internal metagame

Not worth being obsessed over haha. I guess I'm more obsessed on finding and talking to girls now though and progressing slowly rather than just trying to go straight for it :P

ReputationRep:
    You're right mate, the happiness comes from rewarding relationships with family, friends and partners. Sexual fulfilment, which we do seem programmed to seek, is a pleasant subset of a good relationship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BestProfileName)
    Our species propagates via sexual reproduction so of course genes that conferred traits most conducive to the desire of sex were favoured (I am grossly oversimplifying this to save myself ten hours of typing nuances).

Should you be slave to them? Well, are you slave to consuming sugar? Yes, we all are - without it we would die. Are you a slave to oxygen? Yup.

True, we need those things to survive, but we need sex for our genes 'to survive' (again some more simplifying) and if you study evolution some more you'll find that your survival is less important than gene propagation (sorry, more simplifying).

Basically, whilst I don't think sex should be your only source of happiness, I definitely think it's okay to rely on it as A source of happiness. As it happens, I've a very high sex drive such as yourself, but what you realise is that sex will make you temporarily happy.

Gandhi said something like, "live like there is no tomorrow; learn like you will live forever", so it's really about finding the right balance of being happy in the moment, and being happy in general. If, like almost everyone, you cannot have sex more than a few hours a day then that means you need something to do in the remaining twenty or so hours.

It's tougher for the average guy to get the average girl to have sex with him than the other way around, true. So what you need to do is just find those easy skanks - and trust me, there are PLENTY of them around. Of course, it depends on what you want from life. Do you JUST want sex? Seems like it from your comment. But what if you also intend on being a public figure? You can't just do it with anyone then.

Try not to be fake with them; make it clear you're only in it for sex. Most women will be repulsed, even if you're decent looking, but there are enough out there for you to just have a 'casual' relationship with.

Edit: Actually let me give you some quick advice. The majority of women can have sex with the majority of men just by saying the word - you need to either find that tiny minority, or give some of the majority a reason to choose you over another.
    Exactly, sex will only make you temporarily happy. Tbh casual sex wouldn't suit me, especially with a girl who's been there and done it, and then there would be me fumbling around with no idea what I'm doing hahaha

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.