Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Further Maths or Physics A-level? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am currently waiting for my GCSE results and I am unsure about which subject to take. My predicted GCSE grades are 6 A*s and 6 As and I am taking Maths, Economics and Geography for A levels next year but I am not sure what my fourth subject should be. I enjoy maths a lot and I am 99.9% sure I have got an A* at GCSE however I am concerned that the A level Further Maths course will be too difficult for me to obtain a grade A at A level. I also enjoy Physics but I don't think I am as good as it as Maths but I will most likely get an A or higher. My concern is that Further Maths will be too hard and I will not understand any of it. Should I take Further Maths or Physics?

*I want to study Economics at university, preferably at Oxbridge or LSE*
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheNicholas)
    Hello, I am currently waiting for my GCSE results and I am unsure about which subject to take. My predicted GCSE grades are 6 A*s and 6 As and I am taking Maths, Economics and Geography for A levels next year but I am not sure what my fourth subject should be. I enjoy maths a lot and I am 99.9% sure I have got an A* at GCSE however I am concerned that the A level Further Maths course will be too difficult for me to obtain a grade A at A level. I also enjoy Physics but I don't think I am as good as it as Maths but I will most likely get an A or higher. My concern is that Further Maths will be too hard and I will not understand any of it. Should I take Further Maths or Physics?

Further Maths is just more Maths. If you can get an A in A Level Maths, you'll be able to get an A in A Level Further Maths. Go with the subject you enjoy more - from the sound of it, you seem to like Maths more, so I'd go with that.

ReputationRep:

Oxbridge doesn't require further maths, if so they say at AS only! It isn't needed strongly needed but you can chose it if you need to. I'm not sure if its in the entry requirements and I'm pretty sure it isn't as well so I'd advice you should hear for physically instead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    Further Maths is just more Maths. If you can get an A in A Level Maths, you'll be able to get an A in A Level Further Maths. Go with the subject you enjoy more - from the sound of it, you seem to like Maths more, so I'd go with that.
    Thank-you very much.. you've made me more confident in choosing Further Maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gunni098)
    Oxbridge doesn't require further maths, if so they say at AS only! It isn't needed strongly needed but you can chose it if you need to. I'm not sure if its in the entry requirements and I'm pretty sure it isn't as well so I'd advice you should hear for physically instead
    Thank-you, Would you say that taking Physics would be more beneficial than Further Maths even though neither are required?

ReputationRep:
    Thank-you, Would you say that taking Physics would be more beneficial than Further Maths even though neither are required?
    In my opinion from what I have researched online, they both are faucilating subjects which means they are equally respective. But the best/easiest/beneficial one would be physics as fmaths is too complicated and quite a lot of people struggle however you might not because you love maths. Its all according to your ability at maths. If you feel you want to go the less stressful route, physics is the best option. But it is your choice
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    No, not really. Both are respectable.

ReputationRep:
    I just googled 'further maths economics' and a page for Economics at King's College, Cambridge came up which includes this phrase:

(Original post by http://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/subjects/economics.html)
    To apply to study Economics at King’s you should have a strong background in Mathematics (A level or equivalent in Maths or better still Further Maths) but you need not have studied Economics formally.

ReputationRep:

I just checked LSE as well and got this:

(Original post by http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/degreeProgrammes2014/economics/L101_BSc_Econ.aspx)
    UCAS code: L101 BSc/Econ

Programme requirement: A level Mathematics is required. A level Economics is not essential. Further Mathematics taken at A level is strongly preferred and is seen as an additional or fourth subject. Thus a combination of Mathematics, Further Mathematics and one other subject is not seen as providing the required breadth of knowledge and skills. No other specific subjects are required at A level, but we prefer traditional academic subjects to subjects such as Communication Studies, Accounting, Business Studies or Media Studies
    ...Why have you not done any research yourself?

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion from what I have researched online, they both are faucilating subjects which means they are equally respective. But the best/easiest/beneficial one would be physics as fmaths is too complicated and quite a lot of people struggle however you might not because you love maths. Its all according to your ability at maths. If you feel you want to go the less stressful route, physics is the best option. But it is your choice
    Stop giving people advice on A-level subjects when you know absolutely nothing about the requirements for the specific degree and are not prepared to do even the smallest amount of research about it. You did this on a Medicine thread and you're doing it here. The advice you give here goes against what the universities the OP wants to apply to for this course are saying. You're not helping. Go away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    Stop giving people advice on A-level subjects when you know absolutely nothing about the requirements for the specific degree and are not prepared to do even the smallest amount of research about it. You did this on a Medicine thread and you're doing it here. The advice you give here goes against what the universities the OP wants to apply to for this course are saying. You're not helping. Go away.
    Course so you're saying further maths and physics isn't equally respected as they're both faucilating subjects. I was going to take economics and looked at entry requirements for vast majorities of universities. I didn't look at LSE. I specifically said " from what I researched so far in my opinion they're both faucilating subjects ".

I know a few degree requirements because I had to see what is specifically needed for various degrees to which a levels are required. Who are you to tell me I know nothing when you don't even know who I am, what qualifications I am doing, let alone what a levels I have researched or like the look of. Also your saying Chlorofile is wrong too. Course because you know everything.

I didn't say any false information on the medicine thread you in fact looked a complete nonse when you don't even read through the comments on threads properly yourself when you started being so predantic on some complete crap you ended up looking like a right idiot from what you said.

Who are you to tell me to mind my own business. Why don't you stop making up some complete crap and walk away somewhere else because nobody cares about the nasty remarks you make. If I'm not helping and everything I write is wrong why do I keep gaining rep from people with the information I give. Makes sense.

And here we go again. Some other crap you come out with. I never said about Oxford or LSE. If you even bother reading properly yourself I specifically said on what I seen on other sites. So get the facts right before you go critising other people. Your comments are not necessary.

ReputationRep:

You NEED to study 4 A2 subjects to be competitive for Economics at LSE and Oxbridge. 96% of successful applicants at LSE study Further Maths (2013) and as LSE don't consider FM as a 'full A-Level' you must do 4. You also need pretty much AAAA at AS also with high UMS in your Maths modules.

Seriously though, do some actual research in to your course instead of simply being ignorant and asking online.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to challenge your abilities and test yourself then do physics. If you want to stay in your comfort zone do further maths.

ReputationRep:
    Course so you're saying further maths and physics isn't equally respected as they're both faucilating subjects. I was going to take economics and looked at entry requirements for vast majorities of universities. I didn't look at LSE. I specifically said " from what I researched so far in my opinion they're both faucilating subjects ".

I know a few degree requirements because I had to see what is specifically needed for various degrees to which a levels are required. Who are you to tell me I know nothing when you don't even know who I am, what qualifications I am doing, let alone what a levels I have researched or like the look of. Also your saying Chlorofile is wrong too. Course because you know everything.

I didn't say any false information on the medicine thread you in fact looked a complete nonse when you don't even read through the comments on threads properly yourself when you started being so predantic on some complete crap you ended up looking like a right idiot from what you said.

Who are you to tell me to mind my own business. Why don't you stop making up some complete crap and walk away somewhere else because nobody cares about the nasty remarks you make. If I'm not helping and everything I write is wrong why do I keep gaining rep from people with the information I give. Makes sense.

And here we go again. Some other crap you come out with. I never said about Oxford or LSE. If you even bother reading properly yourself I specifically said on what I seen on other sites. So get the facts right before you go critising other people. Your comments are not necessary.
    You had a hissy fit on the other thread because you didn't understand what 'OP' meant so thought I was talking to you when I specifically addressed the OP. You're the only one who looked like a nonse [sic] and the child you clearly are.

And again here you seem to have severe difficulties with reading comprehension. The OP said that they were specifically looking into Oxbridge (not Oxford, you're failing to read properly, again) and LSE. If you don't know whether your advice is applicable to Oxbridge and LSE, check their requirements before giving it.

If the OP followed your advice, because it would be reasonable to assume that someone responding with an attitude of knowing what they're talking about (and claiming to have done research) would have actually read the question and be addressing the specifics of it (that the OP wishes to apply to Oxbridge/LSE), they would likely have ruined their chances of getting into Oxbridge or LSE - or rather, you would have ruined their chances by being too thick to think about the potential consequences of giving advice you haven't even done any relevant research on.

I understand you probably want to feel all important and like you're helping people. You're not. Either learn to do a quick and relevant google at least or find something you actually have a clue about.

ReputationRep:

easy further maths. They say they dont require it but all applicants will pretty much have it. Especially for economics. All the stats modules should be taken.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You had a hissy fit on the other thread because you didn't understand what 'OP' meant so thought I was talking to you when I specifically addressed the OP. You're the only one who looked like a nonse [sic] and the child you clearly are.

And again here you seem to have severe difficulties with reading comprehension. The OP said that they were specifically looking into Oxbridge (not Oxford, you're failing to read properly, again) and LSE. If you don't know whether your advice is applicable to Oxbridge and LSE, check their requirements before giving it.

If the OP followed your advice, because it would be reasonable to assume that someone responding with an attitude of knowing what they're talking about (and claiming to have done research) would have actually read the question and be addressing the specifics of it (that the OP wishes to apply to Oxbridge/LSE), they would likely have ruined their chances of getting into Oxbridge or LSE - or rather, you would have ruined their chances by being too thick to think about the potential consequences of giving advice you haven't even done any relevant research on.

I understand you probably want to feel all important and like you're helping people. You're not. Either learn to do a quick and relevant google at least or find something you actually have a clue about.
    The guy said "preferably" not certainly. Yes I am a kid. Were all children in the eyes of the law if were under 18. Well done I think we all establishes that. I didn't have a hissy fit at all I was replaying to the utter crap you started blabbing on. And what if I don't know what OP is, and your point is?

How would I have ruined his chances when Chlorophile stated the same comment as I have done when the guy asked if they are differently repected. So you're calling him thick too?

I really couldn't give a toss if people find my comments unhelpful its a forum site. Not a life or death change. Lol so funny how you mention "want to feel important for helping people", darling I really couldn't care about a website with a forum on. Oh wow because it bothers me so much.

My aim wasn't to specifically mention Oxford (and Cambridge because your so predantic) or LSE I already told him from the research I have done: meaning other university requirements other than the preferred universities he mentioned. Plus I never mention them because I didn't know enough to give him advice about that. So what's the criticism digs for when I clearly stated "FROM WHAT I HAVE RESEARCHED." So yet again, you bang on about Oxbridge yet again.

So why don't you do your own thing instead of arguing with me? Clearly your just as immature spending your time arguing with someone you barely know to even be commenting about them as a person so who the hell do you think you are judging me? You don't know me, why are you such a good person yourself if you want to call it, that you can tell someone else if they're right or wrong. Stop spending your life critising other people.

So your pretty much saying everyone here is in the wrong mentioning physics and further maths is equally respected. And actually LSE doesnt require it as a full a level so why don't you read things properly before copy and pasting the whole sote/. Oh no wait I am wrong again ain't I as well as Mathsz0r because we clearly don't know nothing and your so far up your arse and perfect. Lol silly me (:

ReputationRep:
    The guy said "preferably" not certainly. Yes I am a kid. Were all children in the eyes of the law if were under 18. Well done I think we all establishes that. I didn't have a hissy fit at all I was replaying to the utter crap you started blabbing on. And what if I don't know what OP is, and your point is?

How would I have ruined his chances when Chlorophile stated the same comment as I have done when the guy asked if they are differently repected. So you're calling him thick too?

I really couldn't give a toss if people find my comments unhelpful its a forum site. Not a life or death change. Lol so funny how you mention "want to feel important for helping people", darling I really couldn't care about a website with a forum on. Oh wow because it bothers me so much.

My aim wasn't to specifically mention Oxford (and Cambridge because your so predantic) or LSE I already told him from the research I have done: meaning other university requirements other than the preferred universities he mentioned. Plus I never mention them because I didn't know enough to give him advice about that. So what's the criticism digs for when I clearly stated "FROM WHAT I HAVE RESEARCHED." So yet again, you bang on about Oxbridge yet again.

So why don't you do your own thing instead of arguing with me? Clearly your just as immature spending your time arguing with someone you barely know to even be commenting about them as a person so who the hell do you think you are judging me? You don't know me, why are you such a good person yourself if you want to call it, that you can tell someone else if they're right or wrong. Stop spending your life critising other people.

So your pretty much saying everyone here is in the wrong mentioning physics and further maths is equally respected. And actually LSE doesnt require it as a full a level so why don't you read things properly before copy and pasting the whole sote/. Oh no wait I am wrong again ain't I as well as Mathsz0r because we clearly don't know nothing and your so far up your arse and perfect. Lol silly me (:
    See, you're doing that thing that children do where they pick one small part of what they said, and argue as if they didn't say anything but that thing. I have said absolutely nothing about the specific issue of whether Physics and FM are equally respected.

This is a student site. Most students are 18 or above. I am certainly not your age, and I certainly wasn't this incapable of reading a post when I was your age.

At no point did you say what it was that you had researched specifically. One would also expect that if you were looking into studying Economics and you're on TSR, you would at some point have bothered to look into the A-level requirements of the good unis that offer it. You were giving actively misleading information.

I'm not 'judging you', poor baby, I'm telling you to **** off out of this kind of thread if you're not prepared to be responsible in what you're posting. Your peers depend on TSR for the quality of information people provide on it and you're ****ting in the drinking water. I can tell you that you are 'right or wrong' because I've bothered to do some minor amount of research for the OP in order to provide them with some accurate guidance to weigh up against your posts, and found your posts to be saying the opposite of what the universities' websites would suggest.

It's 'pedantic' by the way.

ReputationRep:
    See, you're doing that thing that children do where they pick one small part of what they said, and argue as if they didn't say anything but that thing. I have said absolutely nothing about the specific issue of whether Physics and FM are equally respected.

This is a student site. Most students are 18 or above. I am certainly not your age, and I certainly wasn't this incapable of reading a post when I was your age.

At no point did you say what it was that you had researched specifically. One would also expect that if you were looking into studying Economics and you're on TSR, you would at some point have bothered to look into the A-level requirements of the good unis that offer it. You were giving actively misleading information.

I'm not 'judging you', poor baby, I'm telling you to **** off out of this kind of thread if you're not prepared to be responsible in what you're posting. Your peers depend on TSR for the quality of information people provide on it and you're ****ting in the drinking water. I can tell you that you are 'right or wrong' because I've bothered to do some minor amount of research for the OP in order to provide them with some accurate guidance to weigh up against your posts, and found your posts to be saying the opposite of what the universities' websites would suggest.

It's 'pedantic' by the way.
    At least I have more maturity than an 18+ year old who swears and throws abuse at people. Oh this is now a grammar school where your spellings need to be correct. Lmao you're very hypocritical when you say "childish for picking at one thing" yet you picked on one thing with the spelling of "pedantic" lmfao youre such a hypocritical immature guy.

My information helps people and I know it so I won't listen to some guy with his head up his own arse. Its really funny how youre reacting. (Oh I forgot its grammar school, oops, you're*)

Because mature kids behave the way you do

ReputationRep:
    At least I have more maturity than an 18+ year old who swears and throws abuse at people. Oh this is now a grammar school where your spellings need to be correct. Lmao you're very hypocritical when you say "childish for picking at one thing" yet you picked on one thing with the spelling of "pedantic" lmfao youre such a hypocritical immature guy.

My information helps people and I know it so I won't listen to some guy with his head up his own arse. Its really funny how youre reacting. (Oh I forgot its grammar school, oops, you're*)

Because mature kids behave the way you do
    I was tempted to highlight all the things in your last post that made me laugh but I figured you were too intent on being a special snowflake to be able to cope with that kind of pettiness. You've either genuinely not understood what I said about picking one thing (in your own argument, not someone else's, it's a very specific tactic, not what you're talking about now, I am well aware it is immature to pick on something someone's said but after someone's tried and failed to call you a pedant three times in swift succession it starts to grate) or you're deliberately being obtuse because you're trying to find anything you can get away with accusing me of.

It's already been amply demonstrated that your information is doing far more harm than good, but clearly you've been brought up to stamp your feet and swear blind that things are the opposite of reality simply because it makes you feel better.

Note how I didn't correct you on your few instances of poor grammar. I saved you the inevitable embarrassment of calling various other people 'predantic'.

ReputationRep:
    I was tempted to highlight all the things in your last post that made me laugh but I figured you were too intent on being a special snowflake to be able to cope with that kind of pettiness. You've either genuinely not understood what I said about picking one thing (in your own argument, not someone else's, it's a very specific tactic, not what you're talking about now, I am well aware it is immature to pick on something someone's said but after someone's tried and failed to call you a pedant three times in swift succession it starts to grate) or you're deliberately being obtuse because you're trying to find anything you can get away with accusing me of.

It's already been amply demonstrated that your information is doing far more harm than good, but clearly you've been brought up to stamp your feet and swear blind that things are the opposite of reality simply because it makes you feel better.

Note how I didn't correct you on your few instances of poor grammar. I saved you the inevitable embarrassment of calling various other people 'predantic'.
    I'm not wasting my time arguing with an immature 18+ year old who simply is a hypocrite, also who loves to get the thesaurus out to make themselves look intelligent with these spontaneous words. If you have a life you wouldn't spend it on trying to criticise other people. I thought you're mature and obviously those kind of people don't bother arguing with a stranger. I am not bothered one bit by your conceitedness and how you think you're better than anyone else. You bore me with the way you constantly wanting to argue all the time. Get a life -_-'

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.