The Student Room Group

How to motivate myself to go to the gym after work?

Before I got a job, I went to the gym pretty much every day regardless of the weather. Now I'm so lazy when I come home from work, I can't even be bothered to go to the gym. It's making me lazy at weekends too. I haven't been to the gym for a proper workout for almost a month now and I'm putting back on the weight I lost prior to the new job.

The travel is the problem, it takes 15-20 minutes to walk to the gym one way, my standard gym session lasts about 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes. So all in all including travel it's almost 2 hours altogether. I get home from work at about 5:45pm and by the time I get ready to leave it's almost 6pm.
You should seriously consider waking up much earlier and going to the gym before work.
Reply 2
Run there, have shorter more intense workouts.
get up early and go to gym?
Reply 4
Original post by SEHughes
You should seriously consider waking up much earlier and going to the gym before work.

Original post by tearteto
get up early and go to gym?

Is that even a good idea? I don't want to tire myself out and end up knackered during the day
I got up at 6 today, I was in the gym by 6.45. Didn't die, in fact I've felt pretty damn good all day.
I find that Im more alert for work after working out getting up early isnt a problem if you sleep earlier as well.
Reply 7
Original post by SEHughes
I got up at 6 today, I was in the gym by 6.45. Didn't die, in fact I've felt pretty damn good all day.

What time do you start work?

Weekends shouldn't be a problem for me but it's finding the time before work on weekdays, I'd only be at the gym for 30 minutes so I can come back, eat and get ready to go to work. I guess it's better than nothing, right?
Writing my masters dissertation over the summer, but I start working at 9. If it took me longer to get to the library/office etc, I'd just wake up earlier.

The problem isn't the physical adjustments to be made in order to wake up early. It's the social taboo of doing so!
Original post by UWS
What time do you start work?

Weekends shouldn't be a problem for me but it's finding the time before work on weekdays, I'd only be at the gym for 30 minutes so I can come back, eat and get ready to go to work. I guess it's better than nothing, right?

Can't you shower and go to work straight from the gym it will save time as you wouldn't have to keep going back and forth. Have a light breakfast before you go to the gym like a banana and take another one with you to have a little while after your work out.
Reply 10
Original post by littleangel9914
Can't you shower and go to work straight from the gym it will save time as you wouldn't have to keep going back and forth. Have a light breakfast before you go to the gym like a banana and take another one with you to have a little while after your work out.

This would be doable if my workplace didnt have a business smart dress code. I dont want to be carrying my suit around to the gym or get it screwed up in my bag or the locker. On the other hand this is possible on fridays when its smart casual wear

Posted from TSR Mobile
Leave your house keys in a the gym every morning
Why not take your gym stuff to work so you can go straight after?

I always find that if I go home after uni I struggle to leave the house again, so I take my stuff with me.
Reply 13
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
Why not take your gym stuff to work so you can go straight after?

I always find that if I go home after uni I struggle to leave the house again, so I take my stuff with me.

i'm the opposite to that, I need a 30 minute site down to rejuvenate and mentally prepare myself.

Quick Reply

Latest