Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Late last night I followed a friend in a Peugeot 206 GTI (180 bhp 1100kg) in my VW Passat TDI (170 bhp 1600 kg) out of our village, through the country roads and onto the motorway.

On a country road (NSL) there was a slow van doing 40 mph, so I overtook both him and my friend, flooring it in 3rd at 40.

My friend in the Pug was enraged at my cheekiness, and naturally followed suit. I hit 70 mph, shifted into 4th and kept pedal to the metal. After 70 mph it pulled to 80, 90, 100, before I braked as I knew I was approaching a 30 mph zone with poorly surfaced roads. The Pug had dropped well back (later he told me he thought anything over 80 was daft on that road).

Aware that I was losing him, I slowed down to the speed limit until he caught up. We negotiated 2 mini roundabouts, and due to other cars ahead and single carriageway roads I decided to chill for a bit- the calm before the storm that was the dual carriageway ahead.

After a mini roundabout the road separated into a dual carriageway, I unleashed all its furry and floored it at 30 mph in 2nd in the right lane. The Peugeot was keeping up, but then a white van moved into the right lane and cut him off. I was sporting and kept it slow so as not to get separated from him.

Shortly after this, the left hand lane became free, and the Peugeot came hurtling down undertaking both the Van and the Passat at around 70 mph. He then pulled in ahead of me, braked for the roundabout and took the right turn onto the roundabout.

I found myself admiring how swiftly and agile the peugeot made that high speed turn. I knew it would be a big ask for the long heavy Passat to do the same. I braked hard, dropped to 2nd, and accelerated through the roundabout, amazingly keeping up with the peugeot without so much as a tyre squeal.

Impressed with my beast's handling I gave it pedal to the metal, but I couldn't close the gap to the Peugeot, both cars clearly evenly matched when already rolling.

We were at the bottom of the motorway slip road now and the lights went green. One lane opened into 2, and with the Peugeot leading, they both climbed the slip road at full throttle, leaving the lesser cars to travel in the right hand lane. Once again both cars were evenly matched in acceleration.

About to merge onto the motorway at 80 mph in 4th, I did so and went straight for the right hand lane, 90, 100 *into 5th*, 110 and then I slowed it down as I knew of a speed camera ahead.

Despite an inferior power to weight ratio to the Peugeot, the big Passat kept up on the straights. I suspect the far greater torque explains this.

Even more commendably, on the twisty roundabouts and country lanes the Passat was equally competent.

ReputationRep:
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Attached Images

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.