Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    im trying to learn code but sometimes i feel it isnt for me and confuses me but i want to become a software developer and i always have my doubts i can barely find any work experience online ive searched pretty much everything

i also wanted to know how to become an I T consultant as it is a job that interests me and one that is another option for me, could someone give me an in depth view of how to become an IT consultant and what it takes thank you

ReputationRep:
    without a degree in comp sci you will never get into software dev.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ana81)
    without a degree in comp sci you will never get into software dev.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not necessary.

OP: you can do bunch of certifications and get a job but at a very small unknown type of company. Also, learn the coding online (that's the best way) & post your doubts on related forums. It will help you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by universal_set)
    Not necessary.

OP: you can do bunch of certifications and get a job but at a very small unknown type of company. Also, learn the coding online (that's the best way) & post your doubts on related forums. It will help you.
    proof please. lol dont be silly do you think a software company would choose an applicant with no CompSci degree over one with one? so silly the only certs you can do are the MS ones which are aimed at MS tech only.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ana81)
    proof please. lol dont be silly do you think a software company would choose an applicant with no CompSci degree over one with one? so silly the only certs you can do are the MS ones which are aimed at MS tech only.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    have you actually involved yourself at all in the software development industry? many people get in without degrees, through experience. and even then, a lot of people specialize in software engineering degrees instead of computer science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mynameisntdoug)
    have you actually involved yourself at all in the software development industry? many people get in without degrees, through experience. and even then, a lot of people specialize in software engineering degrees instead of computer science.
    You dont need to change a babys nappy to know when its done a dump, same applies with this. I've researched this before, you need a relevant degree to get into the feild... even if by the luck of the day you happen to find a job which doesn't require a relevant degree you will 99% be out done by someone who has one... its a competitive feild. If the OP wants to rely on that 1% then its up to him.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ana81)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    LOL, what an idiot you are. You have clearly no idea what you are talking about.

I know numbers of people. Do you want me to give their contact details to you? I am not talking about they are working in GOOGLE OR MICROSOFT. With strong skills and certifications many small sized companies (3-7) offer jobs.

ReputationRep:
    LOL, what an idiot you are. You have clearly no idea what you are talking about.

I know numbers of people. Do you want me to give their contact details to you? I am not talking about they are working in GOOGLE OR MICROSOFT. With strong skills and certifications many small sized companies (3-7) offer jobs.
    name these companies and add supporting evidence or get back in your box.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ana81)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I will do it later but atm you can do some independent research by doing little effort and find useful results on linkedin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ana81)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    These people made companies for themselves without finishing a degree, it's not essential if you have a brilliant idea. And even if you do want to go to work for a company, relevant experience is often appreciated more than a degree if you have really applied yourself to gain experience.

Case 1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Gates
    Case 2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Zuckerberg

ReputationRep:
    These people made companies for themselves without finishing a degree, it's not essential if you have a brilliant idea. And even if you do want to go to work for a company, relevant experience is often appreciated more than a degree if you have really applied yourself to gain experience.

Case 1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Gates
    Case 2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Zuckerberg
    Total irrelevant post. I was talking about working as a developer such as php/.net etc with certifications at small companies.

BTW, here's the list of people I know who are working as .net developers at small companies:

1) Paul at PSI, London (BSc in chemistry from India & Microsoft certified engineer). I don't know where is he currently working at? But his first job in UK was at PSI.
    2) Vijay at PSI, now he's working as a IT contractor.
    3) Arsalan working as a network engineer at university of Manchester.
    4) John working as a PHP - IT contractor.

These are few names who have no uni degree in computer science. Although, I know some more people but I am sure these people won't mind if a naive like you contact them.

ReputationRep:
    Total irrelevant post. I was talking about working as a developer such as php/.net etc with certifications at small companies.

BTW, here's the list of people I know who are working as .net developers at small companies:

1) Paul at PSI, London (BSc in chemistry from India & Microsoft certified engineer). I don't know where is he currently working at? But his first job in UK was at PSI.
    2) Vijay at PSI, now he's working as a IT contractor.
    3) Arsalan working as a network engineer at university of Manchester.
    4) John working as a PHP - IT contractor.

These are few names who have no uni degree in computer science. Although, I know some more people but I am sure these people won't mind if a naive like you contact them.
    How is it irrelevant? If you push yourself to get experience and make things, lacking a uni degree won't hold you back. Those two names are huge examples. Your post is irrelevant, none of those companies mean anything to the software industry.

ReputationRep:
    How is it irrelevant? If you push yourself to get experience and make things, lacking a uni degree won't hold you back. Those two names are huge examples. Your post is irrelevant, none of those companies mean anything to the software industry.
    Did you even bother to read my previous posts? I am not saying that some certifications & no university computer science degree will help you to get a job at top notch companies such as Google, Apple or Microsoft etc. I am trying to say that with no degree but with strong skills on coding + certifications can help to get a job at small unknown companies.

ReputationRep:
    Did you even bother to read my previous posts? I am not saying that some certifications & no university computer science degree will help you to get a job at top notch companies such as Google, Apple or Microsoft etc. I am trying to say that with no degree but with strong skills on coding + certifications can help to get a job at small unknown companies.
    Why would I read your posts? I was not talking to you at all. I was making a point that you can get a job without any certifications or degrees, you don't need them for software development. Maybe you do for IT consulting, we are not talking about the same thing. Perhaps if you read my posts before chatting ****

ReputationRep:
    Why would I read your posts? I was not talking to you at all.
    Then, why the hell did you quote my post at first place?

I was making a point that you can get a job without any certifications or degrees, you don't need them for software development. Maybe you do for IT consulting, we are not talking about the same thing. Perhaps if you read my posts before chatting ****
    I read your posts and trust me it is ****.

ReputationRep:
    Then, why the hell did you quote my post at first place?

I read your posts and trust me it is ****.
    I quoted you when you started chatting **** about what I said.

You were the first to quote me, I was only quoting Ana81. Are you Ana81? I don't think you're Ana81.

ReputationRep:
    I quoted you when you started chatting **** about what I said.

You were the first to quote me, I was only quoting Ana81. Are you Ana81? I don't think you're Ana81.
    I quoted you because I was partially agree with you. It wasn't a chat therefore learn some vocabulary & please stop repeating the nonsense.

I think that I am arguing with a dumbass person therefore I am leaving this thread.

ReputationRep:
    I quoted you because I was partially agree with you. It wasn't a chat therefore learn some vocabulary & please stop repeating the nonsense.

I think that I am arguing with a dumbass person therefore I am leaving this thread.
    You said my post was totally irrelevant, you quoted me and you said that. That's what you did, how can you not see that? You're still arguing despite the fact you're wrong.

Perhaps you should take this time to improve your vocabulary instead of resorting to childish insults.

ReputationRep:
    You said my post was totally irrelevant, you quoted me and you said that. That's what you did, how can you not see that? You're still arguing despite the fact you're wrong.

Perhaps you should take this time to improve your vocabulary instead of resorting to childish insults.
    Please accept my sincere apologies because I thought Ana81 posted It in order to support her argument therefore I found it very absurd. Otherwise, yeah! You are right. Once again, I am really sorry for the confusion.

ReputationRep:
    ROTFLMAO what a pair of wollys.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Quick link:

Unanswered IT and technology threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.