The Student Room Group

According to the people on this forum, for a guy to just get an average girl..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fat_hobbit
Depends.

I will cut off girls if I feel they have strung me along badly. Or if I really really fancied them for the sake of mental health.

That girl who rejected me, I was trying my luck with her to be honest, no big deal.

In which case, fair enough.
Original post by Nomes89
Well I haven't been to the USA since being a kid. Maybe that's the case, it does seem like they are more backward in that respect.

As a black woman, I actually don't have any problem contrary to what people who lurk on these forums try to assert. Having said that though, whatever prejudices there are here in Britain don't seem to exist in Europe and if anything I think I get more attention abroad because I'm black.

Just be thankful you don't have to live in the USA, eh?

UK is relatively good for the black women, I have been on both sides of the pond. It is much more sane here.

They don't have a pleasant view of you guys (black women) over there in the USA. It is unfortunate, because the black men over there are well known for taking any white woman they can. Same with Far East Asian women over there, who, like black men, are glorified as being preferred partners for white people in the USA. Many of these Far East Asian women have the same mentalities as black men, "any white I can get".
I have had my most success in London tbh.

But I think it helps a lot that I am a Londoner. I find a lot of women, especially ones that come from Europe get attracted to that. They all give me the nickname 'londoner'

Can't disagree there, shame it doesn't happen to jalebi in birmingham.
Original post by SloaneRanger
Can't disagree there, shame it doesn't happen to jalebi in birmingham.

brummie accent
Original post by Seb_back2back
That's great, I doubt i'll have a problem fitting in. Back to the topic though, it seems that Asian guys have a mountain to climb when it comes to getting into relationships with local girls. I wonder if that's simply because the average asian guy isn't as tall as the average white/black guy and also because of the rumour that asians have weiners the size of their thumbs.

I must have really pissed God off in my previous life to deserve this.

Cringe. Men with a weak mindset like you are an instant turnoff. Make the rest of the minorities of your race look bad. Stop trying to be what others want you to be. Be strong, be yourself.
That's great, I doubt i'll have a problem fitting in. Back to the topic though, it seems that Asian guys have a mountain to climb when it comes to getting into relationships with local girls. I wonder if that's simply because the average asian guy isn't as tall as the average white/black guy and also because of the rumour that asians have weiners the size of their thumbs.

I must have really pissed God off in my previous life to deserve this.

I think when it comes to dating racial prejudices it's subconsciously to do with the fact that throughout their lives few people have any familiarity with east Asians.

Think about it, out of all the ethnic people Black guys are most popular - not only is black culture at the forefront of mainstream popular culture but black men in particular have the post positive representation in media and therefore have associated characteristics that make them appealing. South east Asians get a bad rep and culturally are quite distant which doesn't help but still people are more used to them. East Asians are almost a completely unknown quantum.
Original post by Tom_Ford
UK is relatively good for the black women, I have been on both sides of the pond. It is much more sane here.

They don't have a pleasant view of you guys (black women) over there in the USA. It is unfortunate, because the black men over there are well known for taking any white woman they can. Same with Far East Asian women over there, who, like black men, are glorified as being preferred partners for white people in the USA. Many of these Far East Asian women have the same mentalities as black men, "any white I can get".

See above point.

How are black women represented in the media?
Cringe. Men with a weak mindset like you are an instant turnoff. Make the rest of the minorities of your race look bad. Stop trying to be what others want you to be. Be strong, be yourself.

It's a mentality that has been instilled in me since young. Growing up, my parents and the people around me have always endorsed and praised Western culture, and looking back, I can definitely see and understand why they did so. It's as simple as that really.

you were once like him Tom Ford.
Don't forget your roots.
Reply 529
You sad ****er. Get a life.
It's a mentality that has been instilled in me since young. Growing up, my parents and the people around me have always endorsed and praised Western culture, and looking back, I can definitely see and understand why they did so. It's as simple as that really.

You from Hong Kong by any chance?
Original post by Nomes89
You from Hong Kong by any chance?

Nope, I'm from Malaysia. Grew up in Singapore and Australia though.
Original post by Nomes89
See above point.

How are black women represented in the media?

You have your Beyonce and Rihannas. But, if you go to America and hear what they say, they just say annoying **** about black women. Does not take a genius to work out the negative stereotypes. The American society in terms of racism runs on stereotypes. You get put into a racial box regardless of who you are as an individual. For example, over there it is much more likely that if you are black you are seen as just plain non-academic and dumb, a food stamps claimant.

Make no mistake about it, white women are also even more glorified over there than here.

Funnily enough in New York, when I went a few years back, black women were some of the friendliest towards me. I went for medical reasons, and when I needed help in a pharmacy I had two randomers just come up and help me around to find what I needed. Very friendly.

Another thing. I find Arab women very attractive but there is little mention of them over there. It is like they do not exist.

Far East Asian women are however stereotyped as being great submissive partners. A lot of them dismiss Far East Asian men (blanket hate, regardless of the individual) to try and gain white privileges. Whereas the American media does everything it can to put down Asian/Arab/Oriental men with stereotypes. It's a different world over there.

It's that kind of thing.
you were once like him Tom Ford.
Don't forget your roots.

What? I was raised a racist household lol.
Why did you struggle to get guys?
Did you try back then?

Because I was ugly (well, at least below average in looks), shy and didn't have a clue what to do/say. Had really poor self-esteem during/after school. Took a while at uni to come out of my shell, get used to going out and interacting with guys etc.

I think if for whatever reason I suddenly wasn't married, and wanted to find someone new, I would still struggle because of my relative lack of looks. But I think (hope?) I've got enough social skills to find someone suitable eventually.
Original post by Nomes89
I think when it comes to dating racial prejudices it's subconsciously to do with the fact that throughout their lives few people have any familiarity with east Asians.

Think about it, out of all the ethnic people Black guys are most popular - not only is black culture at the forefront of mainstream popular culture but black men in particular have the post positive representation in media and therefore have associated characteristics that make them appealing. South east Asians get a bad rep and culturally are quite distant which doesn't help but still people are more used to them. East Asians are almost a completely unknown quantum.

True, there's this widespread perception about Asians that's synonymous with boredom and poor English in general. Hollywood generally portrays Asians as the nerds and geeks who try way too hard to be cool and always end up failing miserably.
Original post by Helenia
Because I was ugly (well, at least below average in looks), shy and didn't have a clue what to do/say. Had really poor self-esteem during/after school. Took a while at uni to come out of my shell, get used to going out and interacting with guys etc.

I think if for whatever reason I suddenly wasn't married, and wanted to find someone new, I would still struggle because of my relative lack of looks. But I think (hope?) I've got enough social skills to find someone suitable eventually.

did you try internet dating and all of that stuff?

It sounds like you were not interacting with enough guys, rather than being ugly.
True, there's this widespread perception about Asians that's synonymous with boredom and poor English in general. Hollywood generally portrays Asians as the nerds and geeks who try way too hard to be cool and always end up failing miserably.

When I think asian guys to be honest, I think of Bruce Lee, Jet Li, Jackie Chan - who are all so ****ing cool.

Compare that to indian guys, who have we got?

Citizen Khan and that bloke from East is East?
You have your Beyonce and Rihannas. But, if you go to America and hear what they say, they just say annoying **** about black women. Does not take a genius to work out the negative stereotypes. The American society in terms of racism runs on stereotypes. You get put into a racial box regardless of who you are as an individual. For example, over there it is much more likely that if you are black you are seen as just plain non-academic and dumb, a food stamps claimant.

Make no mistake about it, white women are also even more glorified over there than here.

Funnily enough in New York, when I went a few years back, black women were some of the friendliest towards me. I went for medical reasons, and when I needed help in a pharmacy I had two randomers just come up and help me around to find what I needed. Very friendly.

Another thing. I find Arab women very attractive but there is little mention of them over there. It is like they do not exist.

Far East Asian women are however stereotyped as being great submissive partners. A lot of them dismiss Far East Asian men (blanket hate, regardless of the individual) to try and gain white privileges. Whereas the American media does everything it can to put down Asian/Arab/Oriental men with stereotypes. It's a different world over there.

It's that kind of thing.

I mean more so in TV programmes and film. Loud, obnoxious, full of attitude (clicking fingers and saying 'nuh-uuuuuuhhhh'). People subconsciously see things like that and think that's how we all act. Plus like you said, Far East Asian women are glorified....because of the stereotype that they're submissive. That's still not positive even if it does mean they can 'get' men because of it.

I've always said, I'd never want to live there. So backwards when it comes to race relations.
When I think asian guys to be honest, I think of Bruce Lee, Jet Li, Jackie Chan - who are all so ****ing cool.

Compare that to indian guys, who have we got?

Citizen Khan and that bloke from East is East?

I get what you're saying lol but that's like the 1% of Asian guys. The average Asian guy doesn't have a cool factor that high.

In fact, I'm great friends with the Indians in my college, mainly because they're sociable, friendly and easy to communicate with. The Asians are the exact opposite.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending