Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do I have to study at university to become a year 2 primary school teacher? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I wanted to know what do I have to study a university to come a primary school teacher? Plus is there a subject requirement they want in A-levels.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    You need a-levels to get onto a uni course or an equivalent. So a BTEC is equivalent to 2 A-levels.
    You can do an education degree for 3 years which would give you QTS or do a 3 year degree in something else and then do a 1 year PGCE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lawstudent21)
    You need a-levels to get onto a uni course or an equivalent. So a BTEC is equivalent to 2 A-levels.
    You can do an education degree for 3 years which would give you QTS or do a 3 year degree in something else and then do a 1 year PGCE.
    Thank you for replying, so if I do a primary education degree which is 3 years I can become a primary school teacher?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherry_heart2047)
    Thank you for replying, so if I do a primary education degree which is 3 years I can become a primary school teacher?
    Yes. If you have A Levels in core subjects (particularly maths) you may have a slight advantage over those who do not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lawstudent21)
    Be careful when looking at 3 year courses, though.

The one you mentioned should be fine, but I did my degree in Education and Early Childhood Studies and that doesn't give me QTS. So you need to make sure that your course states that it has QTS.

The alternative being to do 4 years... So a degree in another subject and then the one year PGCE.

ReputationRep:
    Also note that you wouldn't train in one specific year group or key stage. You have placements in at least 2 schools in different age groups.

ReputationRep:
    There are two routes you can go down:
    - A three year undergraduate course in Primary Education with QTS.
    - A three year undergraduate course in a subject of your choice then a PGCE in Primary.

QTS means you have Qualified Teaching Status. QTS means you are qualified to take up a teaching post within the UK.

If you definitely know that Primary teaching is what you want to do, then you might be better with a dedicated undergraduate degree, as the whole three years is solely dedicated to teaching and you would gain a breath of experience in schools and developing your knowledge.

Have a look at this profile to get a better idea
    https://nationalcareersservice.direc...olteacher.aspx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charl0tte90)
    There are two routes you can go down:
    - A three year undergraduate course in Primary Education with QTS.
    - A three year undergraduate course in a subject of your choice then a PGCE in Primary.

QTS means you have Qualified Teaching Status. QTS means you are qualified to take up a teaching post within the UK.

If you definitely know that Primary teaching is what you want to do, then you might be better with a dedicated undergraduate degree, as the whole three years is solely dedicated to teaching and you would gain a breath of experience in schools and developing your knowledge.

Have a look at this profile to get a better idea
    https://nationalcareersservice.direc...olteacher.aspx
    Thank you so much for the advise, it really helped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherry_heart2047)
    Hey guys,

I wanted to know what do I have to study a university to come a primary school teacher? Plus is there a subject requirement they want in A-levels.

Thanks
    Im starting a Primary Education Degree in Semptember, and i did not to A-Levels, instead i did the CACHE L3 Diploma in Childcare & Education, which holds UCAS points. Its good as you have placements throughout so you can see what age range and settings you like best. I suspect if you do A-Levels academic subjects are good, maths, english, science, art would be good or Food and Nutrition, history... whatever really. But definitely include an A level which shows you skills in English and writing up things.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.