Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I am a 2nd year at university.

I've been doing design for a very long time now but have only just started to try make money from it.

Only managed to find 1 client so far via a friend, but have no clue on any LEGITIMATE ways to get a steady client stream (preferably through working solely online).

I have seen people have success making things for small events, nightlife, businesses and competitions

Also, I have tried some websites like freelancer but the competition is ridiculous. About 100 applicants for 1 job!

ReputationRep:
    Most people just build a portfolio by helping family and friends' businesses. When I was doing this, it was just word of mouth that got most my freelance work. Before I knew it, I had quite the customer base in Australia as my clients were just recommending me to their friends and family.

Otherwise I'd just treat it as sole-trader work with a dash of marketing consultancy. If you go talking to your local businesses, restaurants, etc. The manager will be happy to take on board any marketing ideas you may have, and you can suggest a marketing campaign by producing X number of posters, a promotional website, leaflets, co-operation with other local businesses. Etc. I'd suggest getting some basic web design skills and get in contact with a printing company so you can get leaflets, posters, etc printed for your clients, obviously with you taking a cut from this, too.

I started out redesigning take-away menus for local businesses. Box of 3000 would be £XXX, design costs would be £XXX, etc. Simple templated website another few hundred quid. Before I knew it I was raking in £200 a day from small easy jobs from takeaways all across the region

As you can see, graphic design isn't just about delivering the graphics, the graphics need to drive revenue. To do this, you may require producing goods in the format of printed materials, or a website.
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

(Original post by mandem2k11)
    Hi

I am a 2nd year at university.

I've been doing design for a very long time now but have only just started to try make money from it.

Only managed to find 1 client so far via a friend, but have no clue on any LEGITIMATE ways to get a steady client stream (preferably through working solely online).

I have seen people have success making things for small events, nightlife, businesses and competitions

Also, I have tried some websites like freelancer but the competition is ridiculous. About 100 applicants for 1 job!

Hi there

There are a few good websites where you can find lots of freelance work on, the best of which (in my opinion) is freelancer.com
    I think it is the best because it is very easy to submit your work and then the job owner will select the best submitted piece and give them the job and the money!

A few more websites are:
    www.freelancer.com
    www.odesk.com
    www.elance.com

These are what I have heard of, hope it helps you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NX172)
    Most people just build a portfolio by helping family and friends' businesses. When I was doing this, it was just word of mouth that got most my freelance work. Before I knew it, I had quite the customer base in Australia as my clients were just recommending me to their friends and family.

Otherwise I'd just treat it as sole-trader work with a dash of marketing consultancy. If you go talking to your local businesses, restaurants, etc. The manager will be happy to take on board any marketing ideas you may have, and you can suggest a marketing campaign by producing X number of posters, a promotional website, leaflets, co-operation with other local businesses. Etc. I'd suggest getting some basic web design skills and get in contact with a printing company so you can get leaflets, posters, etc printed for your clients, obviously with you taking a cut from this, too.

I started out redesigning take-away menus for local businesses. Box of 3000 would be £XXX, design costs would be £XXX, etc. Simple templated website another few hundred quid. Before I knew it I was raking in £200 a day from small easy jobs from takeaways all across the region

As you can see, graphic design isn't just about delivering the graphics, the graphics need to drive revenue. To do this, you may require producing goods in the format of printed materials, or a website.
    Wow thank you for the idea and advice. Will give it a go definately!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Marketing,Sales ad PR Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.