Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone ever had it? Looking for broadband for our student house and EE have this brilliant deal, but I'm concerned what the speed will be like if they restrict it at peak times. We're a house of nerdy physicists so will be SSHing to our office network sometimes. We don't game or anything but let's just say a lot of youtube and movie watching will be happening.

ReputationRep:
    Bump. Or can someone move this to technology please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRandomer)
    Bump. Or can someone move this to technology please?
    Done

ReputationRep:
    The speed you'll get will depend on the area and the package you purchase.

When you say movie watching.. I assume you mean on applications such as Netflix, or torrenting and then watching?

Has anyone ever had it? Looking for broadband for our student house and EE have this brilliant deal, but I'm concerned what the speed will be like if they restrict it at peak times. We're a house of nerdy physicists so will be SSHing to our office network sometimes. We don't game or anything but let's just say a lot of youtube and movie watching will be happening.

ReputationRep:
    Yep I know, but I was curious about the limits they put on speeds at peak times, if anyone has experience with this. We would be going for the 17mbps package since the others are for a minimum of 18 months.
    Yup, just basic streaming not torrenting or anything.

(Original post by Binary Freak)
    The speed you'll get will depend on the area and the package you purchase.

When you say movie watching.. I assume you mean on applications such as Netflix, or torrenting and then watching?

ReputationRep:
    Yep I know, but I was curious about the limits they put on speeds at peak times, if anyone has experience with this. We would be going for the 17mbps package since the others are for a minimum of 18 months.
    Yup, just basic streaming not torrenting or anything.
    Hmm, I've not really come across many providers that put on a limit at peak times. Even then it's unlikely you'll even hit 10mbps.. That is where ISPs like to f*** people over.

You'll only need 3.0-5.0mbps for streaming.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.