The Student Room Group

If the UK had an autobahn..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by just a dad
Don't make promises you can't keep.
Having clocked up over half a million miles in the UK, USA and Western Europe I am confident in saying that your arrogance exceeds your ability.

I've never made a promise I can't keep. This is no exception. Me saying that I won't lose my licence is arrogant, which, since you only know me from this thread, is a fair claim. However, this arrogance exceeds my ability to do what?

There really was no reason to undermine my ability to do 'something'. I never insulted you. All you did was waltz in and give me ill wishes. If you think I drive too fast, encourage me to slow down, don't make me want to drive faster just to test my 'ability'. Because tomorrow morning that's just what I'm going to do on my regular 60-70 mile motorway drive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SeamanStaines
With 10 lanes each side and light enough traffic that you can drive as fast as you like

what speed would you drive at ?

141mph... a.k.a. what my car is limited too.
Reply 22
Original post by SeamanStaines
With 10 lanes each side and light enough traffic that you can drive as fast as you like

what speed would you drive at ?
As fast as the car in front of me.

Let's face it, given that lanes 1 to 9 would be clogged up with LGVs all overtaking each other at 56.1 mph and lane 10 would have a clio (always a bloody clio!) passing them at 63mph, there wouldn't be much difference from the 70 limit we have now.
Reply 23
Original post by Advisor
As fast as the car in front of me.

Let's face it, given that lanes 1 to 9 would be clogged up with LGVs all overtaking each other at 56.1 mph and lane 10 would have a clio (always a bloody clio!) passing them at 63mph, there wouldn't be much difference from the 70 limit we have now.

More likely lanes 1-3 would be lorries, meanwhile 4-9 would have nothing in it and lane 10 would be jammed full of every other car thinking it must be the fastest lane to be in, when in reality they are going no faster than the lorries.
Reply 24
I'm sure on the odd occasion I'd push my car to its top speed (somewhere around the 115-120 mark) but for fuel economy & general wear & tear I'd mostly stick at 80 with the cruise control on.
Speed of light or sound depending on how I'm feeling that day.
Reply 26
Original post by live_a_life
I wouldn't drive at these speeds if I didn't feel comfortable at them. I have never fallen into an awkward situation because of driving too fast.

Most people wouldn't drive at speeds they don't feel comfortable with. Whether it's 50mph, 80mph or all the way up to 100+. The only people that don't drive at comfortable speeds are idiotic teenagers who succumb easily to peer pressure and go out of their comfort zone. It doesn't mean anything to not drive at speeds that you wouldn't feel comfortable at. It's empty justification.

You haven't fallen into an awkward situation from driving too fast and I hope that you don't. Accidents often happen because of reasons out of your control or by errors that anybody can make. You could be the most capable driver in the world and accidents can and do still happen. Just watch F1; arguably some of the most competent drivers in the world are still have accidents, even if they are in a more accident prone environment.

I could drive at 100+ if I wanted to and quite comfortably too. I don't because I am in no rush to get anywhere and if I ever have the misfortune of being caught up in an accident, I'd prefer to be in a better position to survive a crash myself and also to be less of a risk to other road users that could also be involved, even if it is by a few percent, that's good enough for me to obey the speed limits for the majority of the time.

Drive fast by all means, nobody here can or will stop you, but don't try to justify it with a reason as weak as 'I drive at a speed I am comfortable with'. It's almost as flimsy as someone drinking four pints and saying "It's alright for me to drive, I wouldn't drive if I wasn't comfortable with it; I don't even feel drunk. I've never been in an awkward situation or been in an accident because of it." Be a little more honest and just say you like driving fast or something. And consider what can happen to other road users with a car hitting them at over 100mph if you ever have the misfortune of being in an accident.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Tabris
Most people wouldn't drive at speeds they don't feel comfortable with. Whether it's 50mph, 80mph or all the way up to 100+. The only people that don't drive at comfortable speeds are idiotic teenagers who succumb easily to peer pressure and go out of their comfort zone. It doesn't mean anything to not drive at speeds that you wouldn't feel comfortable at. It's empty justification.

You haven't fallen into an awkward situation from driving too fast and I hope that you don't. Accidents often happen because of reasons out of your control or by errors that anybody can make. You could be the most capable driver in the world and accidents can and do still happen. Just watch F1; arguably some of the most competent drivers in the world are still have accidents, even if they are in a more accident prone environment.

I could drive at 100+ if I wanted to and quite comfortably too. I don't because I am in no rush to get anywhere and if I ever have the misfortune of being caught up in an accident, I'd prefer to be in a better position to survive a crash myself and also to be less of a risk to other road users that could also be involved, even if it is by a few percent, that's good enough for me to obey the speed limits for the majority of the time.

Drive fast by all means, nobody here can or will stop you, but don't try to justify it with a reason as weak as 'I drive at a speed I am comfortable with'. It's almost as flimsy as someone drinking four pints and saying "It's alright for me to drive, I wouldn't drive if I wasn't comfortable with it; I don't even feel drunk. I've never been in an awkward situation or been in an accident because of it." Be a little more honest and just say you like driving fast or something. And consider what can happen to other road users with a car hitting them at over 100mph if you ever have the misfortune of being in an accident.

What an unnecessarily anal interpretation of my post. Saying I drive at a speed I find comfortable means that I have weighed all these factors you mentioned - every single one - and decided that should an awkward situation arise, I can deal with it. I wouldn't feel 'comfortable' driving at 120mph on UK roads despite my car being able to give me a very 'comfy' ride if I did decide to be at those speeds. You've read the word 'comfortable' from the wrong perspective.

And how can you say that it's flimsy reason and go on to compare it to driving under the influence? Alcohol impairs your driving significantly. Driving 100mph+ on the motorway in an empty, straight right lane does not pose any where near as much of an impairment.

Don't challenge something I've said, purely for the sake of causing a dispute. Saying that I drive at speeds I feel comfortable at is a completely justified reason.

To be honest, it seems like what you're trying to coerce me into saying is, "I drive fast because I enjoy it" which is true, I do, but when I'm enjoying something, I feel pretty comfortable.
Reply 28
Anyone who frequently drives at 100 mph + on UK roads is a moron.
Original post by live_a_life
What an unnecessarily anal interpretation of my post. Saying I drive at a speed I find comfortable means that I have weighed all these factors you mentioned - every single one - and decided that should an awkward situation arise, I can deal with it. I wouldn't feel 'comfortable' driving at 120mph on UK roads despite my car being able to give me a very 'comfy' ride if I did decide to be at those speeds. You've read the word 'comfortable' from the wrong perspective.

And how can you say that it's flimsy reason and go on to compare it to driving under the influence? Alcohol impairs your driving significantly. Driving 100mph+ on the motorway in an empty, straight right lane does not pose any where near as much of an impairment.

Don't challenge something I've said, purely for the sake of causing a dispute. Saying that I drive at speeds I feel comfortable at is a completely justified reason.

To be honest, it seems like what you're trying to coerce me into saying is, "I drive fast because I enjoy it" which is true, I do, but when I'm enjoying something, I feel pretty comfortable.

This is just a disgusting attitude. It isn't necessarily a matter of "It's fine because I enjoy it", it's the fact it endangers others and is stupidly reckless behaviour from what I can only guess to be an arrogant adolescent in an attempt to boast or show off. Also some people are 'comfortable' doing drugs, some are 'comfortable' with stealing, but that doesn't make it any less illegal. I hope this reckless driving catches up with you, not by way of death, injury or even accident, but by a suspended licence, hefty fine & a big chunk of community service. You're the reason insurance costs for new and young drivers are ridiculously high.
Has to be over the tonne!

Posted from TSR Mobile
The problem is that not everyone wants to drive at 100mph. You are more likely to get crashes when you got people driving at very different speeds.
Reply 32
Having clocked up over half a million miles in the UK, USA and Western Europe I am confident in saying that your arrogance exceeds your ability.

110 is easily controllable depending on the vehicle. It's 125+~ which would get dodgy for most people I'd imagine.
Original post by samba
110 is easily controllable depending on the vehicle. It's 125+~ which would get dodgy for most people I'd imagine.

It's not the vehicles I'm worried about.
Reply 34
It's not the vehicles I'm worried about.

What are you worried about then? Global warming?
This would never happen the average driver in the UK is insane lol
Original post by samba
What are you worried about then? Global warming?

Well, global warming is an issue for us all, but I was more thinking about the silly sods (of all speeds and abilities) driving those lumps of metal.

I've seen some pretty wacky accidents in my time, most involving drivers IQs suddenly resembling those of a baboon; there is really nothing clever about driving at 110 mph on our public highways.

This. +1.
I'd just love to be cruising, I'd say 60 maybe 70mph as long as I didn't have anywhere to be or anything on my mind.
Reply 39

110 isn't even excessively fast. Chill buddy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest