Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'll be doing pharmaceutical chemistry. I was told there are a variety of different jobs you can go into. You apparently learn them while studying. But I literally have no idea about job types and what I'd be doing day to day. I have a vague idea that it could involve development of medicines.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hitashami)
    I'll be doing pharmaceutical chemistry. I was told there are a variety of different jobs you can go into. You apparently learn them while studying. But I literally have no idea about job types and what I'd be doing day to day. I have a vague idea that it could involve development of medicines.

Well, you have the entire pharma industry. You have a lab chemists making compounds as well as others that are in the analytical department purifying/separating them.

You also have analytical work in lots of other areas as well. Water companies need people to check their water cleanliness etc.

You also have general science-y jobs. I've been looking recently and have found an interesting range of jobs that want a chemistry degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    Well, you have the entire pharma industry. You have a lab chemists making compounds as well as others that are in the analytical department purifying/separating them.

You also have analytical work in lots of other areas as well. Water companies need people to check their water cleanliness etc.

You also have general science-y jobs. I've been looking recently and have found an interesting range of jobs that want a chemistry degree.
    Analytical work sounds like it would easy
    I personally am interested in organic chemistry. By lab chemists making compounds what do you mean? I mean once a particular molecule has been discovered and given the go ahead, it would be mass produced in machines.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Analytical work sounds like it would easy
    I personally am interested in organic chemistry. By lab chemists making compounds what do you mean? I mean once a particular molecule has been discovered and given the go ahead, it would be mass produced in machines.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Analytical work is what i like and it's often easy but often not so much as well.

A drug company will know that compound x is good so as well as changing small parts on compound X to see if ti improves it's reactivity they will also look at ways of improving the way they make compound X. Different synthetic pathways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    Analytical work is what i like and it's often easy but often not so much as well.

A drug company will know that compound x is good so as well as changing small parts on compound X to see if ti improves it's reactivity they will also look at ways of improving the way they make compound X. Different synthetic pathways.
    When I think of analysis jobs. I imagine some guy going into a plant and testing the purity of the material and then finish work after an hour then go home lol

But yeah. I'd be more interested in the making and development of compounds.

ReputationRep:
    When I think of analysis jobs. I imagine some guy going into a plant and testing the purity of the material and then finish work after an hour then go home lol

But yeah. I'd be more interested in the making and development of compounds.

Nah, it would be more
    Go to the planet.
    Take 20 different samples.
    go to your lab, Start running tests on them.
    Spend the next week running tests and writing in depth reports.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.