Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Gap year for medical reasons - staying sane? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I had to drop out of uni for medical reasons and am now taking a gap year and reapplying for 2015 entry

Because of my medical problems I can't travel or get a proper job to keep me busy, and all of my friends are starting either their first or second year of uni so I'm going to be home by myself. I can't even drive myself anywhere.

I'm doing one evening class a week and lots of physiotherapy but I'm still going to be spending a lot of time stuck at home

Does anyone have any suggestions to keep busy and also to make it look to universities like I'm not completely wasting my gap year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ymlou)
    So I had to drop out of uni for medical reasons and am now taking a gap year and reapplying for 2015 entry

Because of my medical problems I can't travel or get a proper job to keep me busy, and all of my friends are starting either their first or second year of uni so I'm going to be home by myself. I can't even drive myself anywhere.

I'm doing one evening class a week and lots of physiotherapy but I'm still going to be spending a lot of time stuck at home

Does anyone have any suggestions to keep busy and also to make it look to universities like I'm not completely wasting my gap year?
    Hey, sorry to hear you're going through this. I'm sure that universities won't think you're wasting your time if you have a medical condition.

What are you going to study at university?

I say this to a lot of people, but I'm a massive fan of coursera.org which allows Universities to provide free online courses- perhaps you could find a relevant course there for you which can give you some extra knowledge about the subject you're going to study? You can do it in your own time from home.

What are you interested in? What are your hobbies?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    Hey, sorry to hear you're going through this. I'm sure that universities won't think you're wasting your time if you have a medical condition.

What are you going to study at university?

I say this to a lot of people, but I'm a massive fan of coursera.org which allows Universities to provide free online courses- perhaps you could find a relevant course there for you which can give you some extra knowledge about the subject you're going to study? You can do it in your own time from home.

What are you interested in? What are your hobbies?
    I'm hoping to study Politics, having already done six months of Economics & Politics.

That's one I haven't heard of! I've looked into a bunch of things and I'm currently splitting my time between learning Italian on duolingo.com and learning HTML on codeacademy. But I will definitely look into that and see if they have any relevant courses

I mostly write in my free time, but I stopped because a long hospital stay is not very inspiring, so I'm trying to get back into that, and into playing bass guitar. It's just finding a way to structure my days, y'know?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.