Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have naturally very light brown hair and get blonde highlights if I go out a lot in the sun. I've decided I would like lighter hair and have been using Sun In for a few days. It's made my hair lighter (sort of a dirty blonde) but I'd like it even lighter still and I don't want to keep using loads of Sun In. Would it be suitable to buy a packet of blonde hair dye and use this instead? I don't have a particular shade in mind I would like to go and am going to do a strand test first to make sure I like the colour before I put it all over my hair. Would buying purple shampoo also be a good idea in case it ends up going brassy?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niamhrado)
    I have naturally very light brown hair and get blonde highlights if I go out a lot in the sun. I've decided I would like lighter hair and have been using Sun In for a few days. It's made my hair lighter (sort of a dirty blonde) but I'd like it even lighter still and I don't want to keep using loads of Sun In. Would it be suitable to buy a packet of blonde hair dye and use this instead? I don't have a particular shade in mind I would like to go and am going to do a strand test first to make sure I like the colour before I put it all over my hair. Would buying purple shampoo also be a good idea in case it ends up going brassy?

Thanks
    Hm, can you get this done professionally at a hair dresser?

Other than that, it makes sense to dye your hair rather than using sun in Doing a strand test also sounds like a good idea.

Try not to stray too far away from your natural colour or it could look strange.

If you don't like it you can always dye it back to your natural colour again.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly go to a salon. I work in one, and we do consultations. It's a good idea if you're unsure. You can book one and you'll sit down with someone where they'll discuss what you want, what will suit you, how much time you spend on your hair, the condition, maintenance etc.

It's so much better than doing it at home. I've done both and a salon is better experience, they also can mix up personalised colours rather than just going from a box.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.