Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

University won't support my disability unitl they get DSA Watch

ReputationRep:
    But my application for DSA has been belated due to my absence of my passport, which I have just applied for for, and a driving license, which I don't have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kasa)
    But my application for DSA has been belated due to my absence of my passport, which I have just applied for for, and a driving license, which I don't have.
    Don't you mean delayed?

Well they will have some funding to allocate to disabled students and put together a support plan but chances are you'll have to wait for SFE to process your DSA especially if you are requiring equipment.

ReputationRep:
    My uni did this as well, even though what I really needed (uni-controlled PC for exams as I physically can't handwrite for 2-3 hours) wouldn't have been funded by DSA. They insisted on having the DSA assessment to officially prove that I needed it.

I don't think there's any way round it if that's the uni's stated policy. If you need facilities that the uni can provide (e.g. not new equipment) then you could try raising it formally via your Student Union rep when term starts. Not sure I'd be optimistic, but it's worth a try.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    My uni did this as well, even though what I really needed (uni-controlled PC for exams as I physically can't handwrite for 2-3 hours) wouldn't have been funded by DSA. They insisted on having the DSA assessment to officially prove that I needed it.

I don't think there's any way round it if that's the uni's stated policy. If you need facilities that the uni can provide (e.g. not new equipment) then you could try raising it formally via your Student Union rep when term starts. Not sure I'd be optimistic, but it's worth a try.
    Do you think I should email my medical documents detailing my support requirements to the tutor?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kasa)
    Do you think I should email my medical documents detailing my support requirements to the tutor?
    You can let your course leader know that you need support and you're having trouble getting it, but I wouldn't bombard them with paperwork. It's not their job to provide the support, but you could let them know that you're likely to have problems unless you get it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.