Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

They should abolish the TV licence... Watch

ReputationRep:
    ...and turn the BBC into a completely commercial company/channel.

IMO.

ReputationRep:
    I second this. The only reason that the general public pay the TV licence is so that the BBC can be viewed without advertisements from other companies (the BBC still advertise their own shows, of course). And with that, I only watch two BBC shows ever, when they're on (which is limited depending on the time of year).

ReputationRep:
    Also, 90% of it is composed of soaps, cooking/gardening/competitions, reality and crappy human interest documentaries.

ReputationRep:
    Yup. The only programmes I ever watch are Doctor Who and Russell Howard's Good News. Apart from that, I rarely even bother with TV.

ReputationRep:
    Agree
    I watch hardly any BBC tv shows and I question its value for money given how much of it is repeats

Also politically we see the BBC now funding welsh language TV and Foreign Office's pet project the world service
    BBC news are also far too susceptible to pressure from the Government of the day happened many times showing impartiality does not exist

Abolish it

ReputationRep:
    No.

They still make programmes that aren't commercially viable and serve a public interest. The Natural History unit for example.

It's unique and not driven by money.

I disagree with a lot of crap they produce, including the news and soaps (eastenders? Ugh) but overall they produce things other channels wouldn't touch across radio and TV. Radio 4 wouldn't exist.

ReputationRep:
    I like the BBC and the TV License Fee, many of the BBC productions that have proved successful would never have been funded by Channel 4, ITV etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.