Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm NOT looking forward to Canada... Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello there. This is my first post on this website!

I'm supposed to be going to Canada where I'll be staying with my uncle for 3 weeks in August and while this sounds like a great holiday, I think I'll become bored very quickly. This is because my uncle doesn't have the internet as I know it. This means I can't access my games nor can I spend inordinate amounts of time surfing websites, as I'm not used to his PC. This might sound crazy but I can't use another person's PC comfortably because it's not mine. It's personal to them, not me, so it has different accessibility which is kind of like talking to a person you've never met before!

Another reason for my boredom is that my uncle lives a very sedentary lifestyle whereas I am very active. I'd prefer to walk places but he'd prefer to drive. I think this is because he lives in such a rural part of Canada where there's no transportation to Toronto or his local town which brings me to the third reason.

He lives in a very rural area which is quite far away from the local village which doesn't have any transportation to Toronto. I stayed with my uncle last year and when I went to Toronto, he used to drive me to the train station. The train took 20 minutes but even so, this is expensive and I'd prefer to walk but I can't because the roads are so dangerous!

Perhaps I should enjoy this holiday. I have been on three holidays this year. Sweden. Switzerland. Austria. I wasn't expecting another holiday and I was quite happy contemplating the prospect of staying at home until September and this is what I would have done if it wasn't for mum who booked a flight in 'suprise'. Yes this is a generous offering but while the first few days might be thrilling, I expect the proceeding weeks to be dull, lifeless and very hot! My uncle lives at a lower latitude than we do here in the UK, so summer temperatures reach 40 degrees quite often!

And to compound this problem, my uncle doesn't have air conditioning. He has a small swimming pool but the water gets very hot quickly, as the volume of water is small and the depth shallow, so the sun heats it to a point of evaporation. I remember refilling the pool three times within one week last year because of this.

I assume he will take me to his friend's cottage by the lake and this I am not looking forward to because of 'dock spiders' which are the size of a grown man's hand. These spiders aren't venomous but they can give you a nasty bite if you're near them. They can also walk on water and I discovered this last year when I went swimming near his lakeside dock, which I dare look underneath in fear of seeing a nest of them. They emerge from within the dock planks and I would physically vomit if I were to tread on one with my bare feet.

So, I am not looking forward to this holiday. It seems like a chore to me and I know I won't be able to relax as I can in my house. I'll probably go to Toronto and buy food and clothes/visit museums like I did last year. I hope so. At least I enjoy Toronto. I don't want to go to Niagara Falls again.

If I had the choice to cancel my flight, I would but I'm being forced into this by my family. Oh and the flight consists of two transfers in Paris and New York, which means I'll be travelling for 24 hours.

ReputationRep:
    #fwp

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    #fwp
    What does this hash-tag mean?

ReputationRep:
    Oh good golly gosh....your life sounds horrific. I'll light a candle and pray for you tonight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D.Wright)
    What does this hash-tag mean?
    You could look it up yourself, since you're so attached to the internet

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.