Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I am going to study the btec 90 credit in business from september in order to push my ucas points up for university.

Any one who has done the course- What is it like? did you find it challenging? What grade/pass did you get? (Im aiming for D*D*)

also, is the qualification accepted by universities alongside AS levels? (Ive got a D,B,C at AS equivalent to 120 points)

Any thoughts on this are appreciated.
    Thanks!:-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vanilla94)
    Hi

I am going to study the btec 90 credit in business from september in order to push my ucas points up for university.

Any one who has done the course- What is it like? did you find it challenging? What grade/pass did you get? (Im aiming for D*D*)

also, is the qualification accepted by universities alongside AS levels? (Ive got a D,B,C at AS equivalent to 120 points)

Any thoughts on this are appreciated.
    Thanks!:-)
    Well, any of the BTEC courses aren't really difficult, however they can be time consuming and in some instances require some extensive research (Distinction criteria). In your year though, the course will be more difficult provided that your centre follows the recent policy (No more referrals).

My grades on my course weren't really that high, however I have a few professional level qualifications to my name, so that reduced my offer significantly.

Your AS Level will not have any impact on your application. Most instances they will not counted towards your offer. It'll be as if they didn't exist. A friend on my course done some rigorous AS Levels, and the university he applied for didn't even count his A-Levels, the university he applied for wasn't even a good university anyway (De Montfort)

In most cases the University will give you an offer of "Achieve X amount of UCAS points from your BTEC 90-credit diploma"

ReputationRep:
    The 90-credit diploma is the exact same as studying a normal Extended Diploma course for the first year and then dropping out.

I did very well and achieved D*D* (all 9 units to Distinction), I missed a lot of lessons but I was devoted to getting the highest grade as possible.

In my second year (which you won't be doing), I only submitted 3 units, which 2 were to Distinction and 1 was to Pass. So I'm relying a lot on my coursework from the 1st year, which can be hugely significant for uni.

Do as much as you can in this course, it's worth 210 UCAS points when you get D*D*.

You should speak to your unis about whether your combination of qualifications is accepted, but it should be fine. Don't be worried about asking them this early, I was at college for four years before I could go to University, but I knew what I needed and worked towards it.

ReputationRep:
    I just recently finished my 90 Credit Diploma in Business. It was definitely challenging in some areas. We also had one teacher that made us fall seriously behind with some of our work, but one of the other teachers helped. I ended up finishing the course early because, when you put your mind to it, you can finish (depending on how it's all taught) up to around three weeks before the actual end of Summer term. However, the new submission rule may impact grades (even I had to have some resubmissions, but that wasn't even half of my assignments).

I haven't had my official results yet, but they are looking at D*D*.

And yes, the BTEC course is accepted along with A-Level results (as in, all of the points you've accumulated through A-Levels and BTEC add up). However, this depends on the university that you apply to. I know for certain that Lincoln does.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaughingKitsune)
    I just recently finished my 90 Credit Diploma in Business. It was definitely challenging in some areas. We also had one teacher that made us fall seriously behind with some of our work, but one of the other teachers helped. I ended up finishing the course early because, when you put your mind to it, you can finish (depending on how it's all taught) up to around three weeks before the actual end of Summer term. However, the new submission rule may impact grades (even I had to have some resubmissions, but that wasn't even half of my assignments).

I haven't had my official results yet, but they are looking at D*D*.

And yes, the BTEC course is accepted along with A-Level results (as in, all of the points you've accumulated through A-Levels and BTEC add up). However, this depends on the university that you apply to. I know for certain that Lincoln does.

Good luck
    I'd like to ask did you apply through UCAS With your A2s and As or just A2s with the 90 Credit Diploma in Business
    Im really nervous and I'd like to go to university in September 2015

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shevaniipatel)
    I'd like to ask did you apply through UCAS With your A2s and As or just A2s with the 90 Credit Diploma in Business
    Im really nervous and I'd like to go to university in September 2015
    I only had a A2 and my BTECs it's worth adding AS subjects for the added UCAS points

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaughingKitsune)
    I only had a A2 and my BTECs it's worth adding AS subjects for the added UCAS points

Good luck
    Thank You Soo much

ReputationRep:
    did you end up going to uni? if so, which one?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Features

Blinkered horse

Take off your BTEC blinkers

Find out the truth behind the BTEC myths.

Polling station sign

BTEC essentials

What you really need to know about studying BTEC.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.