Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hiya im starting hnc social care in august and just wondered if anyone else is doing it too?

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I'm starting this as well but i'm just confused as to whether unis actually accept this as i haven't heard much about them.

ReputationRep:
    Came across your post & thought I would add my 2pennies worth. I undertook my HNC in Social Care & have used it to get into university for Adult Nursing (mature student), so yes, for me it definitely made a difference. I do have previous medical experience which also worked in my favour, but my HNC was my proof of recent study.

Good luck with yours.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much! Did you find the course hard as I've heard it's quite intense?

ReputationRep:
    It can be hard yes, but as long as your interested in what your studying, make the time to study & submit all your essays etc on time then you will be fine.

What are you planning on doing when you finish your HNC?

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully midwifery! But finding it hard to find unis that accept this qualification and some want you to complete the hnd as well but don't really want to wait 2 years just wanna get on with it!

ReputationRep:
    What age are you? As sometimes that can make a difference.

I am 42 so classed as a mature student & I couldn't find anything at first about HNC/different qualifications on the universities website(s). It was only after emailing admissions & asking if I could submit an application using my HNC as my means of recent study. I live in Scotland & contacted Caledonian, Stirling & UWS & they all said yes. There only requirement was that the HNC had been undertaken in the last 3 (Cale) or 5 years (Stirling & UWS).

There is also your other qualifications, work/life experience which you refer to in your personal statement which only strengthens your application.

I know some colleges link with universities for entry, i.e. access to nursing courses/HNC courses (in fact UWS told all applicants for this year this at their open day, that they keep so many places for college students). I didn't apply to university straight after gaining my HNC, I worked for a few years & have applied now, but I know of fellow students when I was at college, that used their HNC as their main strength to get into university.

Try not to worry & enjoy your course. Once you start college your lecturers will be able to advise you as well.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 18 but i fell ill whilst taking my a levels and missed a lot of school and originally wasn't going to be allowed to sit the exams but it took a lot of convincing. I didn't do too bad but also because of the illness I wasn't able to make it to any uni interviews so i could't confirm a place. And lots of people said to take a gap year but i don't want to do a year of nothing and just thinking that this could boost my application even more. Thanks for all the advice

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear things didn't go to plan on such an important year for you. I can relate as my eldest was & in out of hospital & had a couple of operations & missed loads of school last year when sitting his 4th year exams. It was such a stressful & horrible time for him. Catching up on so much missed schooling is really tough, so you should pat yourself on the back for persevering & sitting your exams. That shows determination & strength of character. Something you could possibly use to your advantage when selling yourself for a job/uni place in the future.

From my time at college, students from both HNC Social Care & HNC Health Care went onto university to study Social Work or Nursing. I would say about least 8 of them. Ask your lecturers once you start college. My lecturers were nurses & social workers & yours will probably have along the same lines of experience & help students every year to apply to university.

It's worked in my favour - I start university next month & it was my HNC that got me in the door for my interview. I wish you the best of luck with your HNC. I have a feeling you will ace it. You're determined & sound like you want this.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much! And good luck with uni! Yeah I hope to use it to my advantage but don't wanna sell it as a sob story.

ReputationRep:
    I am also doing this course this year as well and can't wait. I hope to go onto uni to do Occupational Therapy, I have emailed both Queen Margaret University as well as Glasgow Caledonian about their OT courses and they have both stated that I can apply to their OT programs if I gain an HNC in Social Care. You can also study Psychology and Mental Health Nursing as well with the HNC Social.Care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gadgfan)
    I am also doing this course this year as well and can't wait. I hope to go onto uni to do Occupational Therapy, I have emailed both Queen Margaret University as well as Glasgow Caledonian about their OT courses and they have both stated that I can apply to their OT programs if I gain an HNC in Social Care. You can also study Psychology and Mental Health Nursing as well with the HNC Social.Care.

Brilliant, well done also. You sound so motivated. Good luck with your studies.

ReputationRep:
    Hi folks sorry to jump in here.

I am about to start my HNC Social Care (part time at evenings) and was wondering if anyone had any insight into the SVQ units required to do on placement? I have a full time job and bank list job and have been told i must do 420 hours to qualify for the SVQ units.

Just wondering how strict they were on the hours......

any help appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kennybarron)
    Hi folks sorry to jump in here.

I am about to start my HNC Social Care (part time at evenings) and was wondering if anyone had any insight into the SVQ units required to do on placement? I have a full time job and bank list job and have been told i must do 420 hours to qualify for the SVQ units.

Just wondering how strict they were on the hours......

any help appreciated.
    If any if your jobs are in healthcare sector you don't need to take on work experience! Not sure if that's the same for all places but that's what I was told by mine hope that helped

ReputationRep:
    I'm just about to start my health and social care HNC, I'm hoping to get into child nursing next year

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordan-clo)
    I'm just about to start my health and social care HNC, I'm hoping to get into child nursing next year

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What unis have you thought of applying to? A lot don't have the hnc on there entry requirements list. And for some reason I'm just worried they won't accept it although they accept ones that aren't listed.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.