Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Racism in the UK. Why does it still exist? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Me and my mates have been racially abused in the past.

I thought London out of all places would not tolerate racism.

I used to work in a corner store in London, and I used to be racially abused for refusing cigarette sales to young boys. Been called a 'paki' even though I'm not. I still remember a case where I refused to young lad a lighter because he looked under 18, and when I told him there was no point laughing and getting upset, he turned around and threatened me - like called me a 'paki' and would knock me out. I obviously never retreated to violence, due to myself being in college; not having a criminal record; and cameras in sight.

Even though I was born in the UK from ethnic minority parents, I still feel that some form of racism exists. I find it shocking that some people become racist when they get angry. It makes me angry because ethnic minorities work really hard and start businesses and pay taxes. Even I pay taxes and I have never claimed benefits, yet racist people can claim my money. Bit like that guy on Benefits Britain: Life On The Dole

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clubber)
    Hi,

I used to work in a corner store in London, and I used to be racially abused for refusing cigarette sales to young boys. Been called a 'paki' even though I'm not. I still remember a case where I refused to young lad a lighter because he looked under 18, and when I told him there was no point laughing and getting upset, he turned around and threatened me - like called me a 'paki' and would knock me out. I obviously never retreated to violence, due to myself being in college; not having a criminal record; and cameras in sight.

Even though I was born in the UK from ethnic minority parents, I still feel that some form of racism exists. I find it shocking that some people become racist when they get angry. It makes me angry because ethnic minorities work really hard and start businesses and pay taxes. Even I pay taxes and I have never claimed benefits, yet racist people can claim my money. Bit like that guy on Benefits Britain: Life On The Dole
    A lot of people have never met someone from outside Europe, and all they see is constant headlines about immigrants causing problems, and the occasional immigrant wearing a burqa or going to a mosque, which they don't understand and therefore fear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Copperknickers)
    A lot of people have never met someone from outside Europe, and all they see is constant headlines about immigrants causing problems, and the occasional immigrant wearing a burqa or going to a mosque, which they don't understand and therefore fear.
    Thanks for your response

People can't be racist due to a small ethnic minority causing problems. Yes, there are some immigrants abusing the benefits system. However, I know a lot of businesses and the majority of them are owned by immigrants. My family own a business and we work incredibily hard. The government charge us a lot of tax and we pay those taxes. Those taxes are then given to lazy people including racist people who feel its alright to call any brown person a 'paki'.

I know for a fact that most immigrants are hard working. I remember a long time ago I went to a chippies late at night and they locked the door as they were counting the tillto close the premises. They refused to let me in. Sure they may have to check the till, but how comes just down the road, the European man whose cafe has its shutters half down, lights turned on let me in and served me? Also the off licenses owned by immigrants in my area open really early, they have a LARGE selection of food and drinks, they are friendly and fast, they allow me to pay them later sometimes and oh- they sometimes stock up items that people like me request. Then we have another off license owned by a white female and family. For starters they open up very late, they don't allow you to pay them back even if you are a regular customer, their selection is good but I can't make any requests, they can't deliver newspaper, I have to pay extra for a carrier bag, they don't do discounts or take customers seriously and worse of all they close early. Both off licenses are on the same street, but most people including myself go to the Asian run shop. Point I'm trying to make here is that immigrants have a positive impact to society and the politicians know it.

ReputationRep:
    Because it is propagated by the media, ignorance and manipulated by individuals fear of change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrEFeynman)
    Because it is propagated by the media, ignorance and manipulated by individuals fear of change.
    If reported, can you get done for racism?

I don't get why people do it when their economy relies on immigrants and other countries for help.

ReputationRep:
    The same reason there is also still sexism, homophobia, etc. There will always be douchebags.

ReputationRep:
    The problem is, there was a high influx of immigration around 2006/2007, and this was just before the economy went tits up. Some people obviously feel that the economic crisis was down to the amount of immigrants that came to the country.

I, for one, don't mind immigrants, as long as they contribute to the country and pay their way. The only problem that I have is those who come here solely to claim benefits, or to use up the free health care (my mum's known people to come here while pregnant, to give birth here and then go home).
    • Welcome Squad

The daily mail/media.

You're shocked at the amount of racism?

I'd say you've been sheltered from the real world. People are saying it's the Daily Mail for spreading such views, but it's not. If anything, it's the BBC and political correctness that has given a false image of current racial attitudes in Britain. The fact is people are and always have been incredibly racist. This is nothing new and you shouldn't be surprised by it.

ReputationRep:
      People can't be racist due to a small ethnic minority causing problems.
      No matter what the society or where it is, there will always be idiots. Those people will use any excuse they can think of to justify their racism.

Generally speaking its nothing like the issue it once was, but that doesn't mean it's gone completely or that it's likely to in the near future.

Welcome to the real world.

ReputationRep:
      They sound like chavs, who will pick up on anything they can find to insult you. If you were white they would probably have called you a pikey.

It's not to do with the media, but when you have that much aggression and that little intelligence in one body that is the inevitable result. They're in the minority though.

ReputationRep:
      Hi,

Oh this question is my cup of tea. I have live in UKfor 13 years of my life, and 3 years in France, and I am a South asian too. You see, english people are the most racist people I ever met in my whole life. . In my experience, , they will treat you as a sub human just because of your colour.I lived there for most of my life and have lived in many other countries, surprising the most racist country I ever lived in.

Mainly chavs/uneducated people discriminate against South Asians, mainly because a lot of Indians here are high achievers and do well at school. Otherwise it's the usual clash of cultures - British and Indian values tend to be quite different. Apart from that, racism is worse against Muslims, so maybe ignorant people mistake Indians for Muslims..

Another reason can be , because most of English people are poor ( most of them never went outside the UK ) , which can explain why they have bad stereotypes against non whites.

ReputationRep:
      Lets flood your country with millions of people without your consent then think about it.

ReputationRep:
      People think that because its the 21st century, that racism is gone in the U.K. The reality is that it does still exist. Along with other forms of discrimination like sexism, homophobia etc

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Rakislk)
      Oh this question is my cup of tea. I have live in UKfor 13 years of my life, and 3 years in France, and I am a South asian too. You see, english people are the most racist people I ever met in my whole life. . In my experience, , they will treat you as a sub human just because of your colour.I lived there for most of my life and have lived in many other countries, surprising the most racist country I ever lived in.

Mainly chavs/uneducated people discriminate against South Asians, mainly because a lot of Indians here are high achievers and do well at school. Otherwise it's the usual clash of cultures - British and Indian values tend to be quite different. Apart from that, racism is worse against Muslims, so maybe ignorant people mistake Indians for Muslims..

Another reason can be , because most of English people are poor ( most of them never went outside the UK ) , which can explain why they have bad stereotypes against non whites.
      Utter garbage. Only about 15% of people are on low-income benefits, and 80% of Brits have been abroad.

ReputationRep:
      Racism is a side effect of immigration.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.