The Student Room Group

Study Law in the University of Cambridge

Hi,

After this summer vacation I will be starting my first year in the IB program. Therefore, within two weeks I have to submit the subjects I wish to study. I am from Sweden and my aim is to study law in the UK, preferably in Cambridge. I am aware that it is very tough to get into that university but I am willing to work extremely hard in order to achieve my dream.

I am writing this thread since I have some questions that I hope will be answered.

First of all, the subjects that I want to choose are:

Swedish A Sl
English B Hl
Mathematics Sl
Chemistry Hl
Biology Hl
Economics Hl

Is this a good combination for law? I am choosing 4 Higher Levels since Eng B Hl might be considered too easy. I also know that it is better to have History since it is an essay based subject, but isn't Economics also an essay based subject?
Furthermore, some of my friends says that it is better to choose an additional seventh subject since top universities (like Oxford and Cambridge) seek for the most outstanding students. Is that true? Should I choose a seventh subject?

I am willing to work hard to become a good lawyer and most of my friends and family say that I will succeed in that career since I am a good debater and can deliver fine speeches, but I am still a bit worried. I am worried that if I enter Law School and later graduate I wont have a decent job. Of course I am not choosing Law in order to solely have a good salary (if that was the case I would have chosen to study medicine), but I still want to have a decent job. If I want to become a solicitor what might my starting salary be? And how much can it rise?

(PS: I might have posted this in the wrong forum, but this is my first day and thread in this site)

Deeply thankful for serious replies,
Xetemet
Reply 1
I don't know very much about the IB, but I know an alright amount about your law-related questions. Without claiming to be an expert, I would say that having a more 'traditional' essay-based subject definitely wouldn't go amiss - economics is sometimes regarded as being on the cusp of science and art, because it's so mathematical and technical at times, although I recognise there are strong essay-writing aspects to it. Maybe you would want to consider changing on of your science subjects to history or something? It's up to you - I doubt it will make a huge amount of difference. I have no idea about the seventh subject point, but I am fairly sure that they don't really care about whether or not you're doing 4 A Levels, so I can't see it being much different for IB.

As far as your concerns about law or concerned, I don't think you should be worried. A law degree is seen as a very useful qualification to have, since it is regarded as one of the more difficult of the arts subjects that you can choose to study. Typically the workload is quite heavy and the nature of the thinking required in law is seen as useful, even if you don't choose to go into law.

Your salary as a solicitor will vary heavily on the sort of law you want go into. If you choose to go into commercial law and work at a big City firm (which many do), you can expect to earn about £40,000 in your first year, rising to around £45,000 in your second year, and finally to over £60,000 on qualification (or, if you were to work for an American firm, as much as £100,000). Commercial law pays well, and if you were to become a partner at a law firm then you could comfortably be making several hundred thousand pounds a year, I believe. If you're looking at something more like family law or criminal law, you can probably shave about £20,000 off of each of those first three figures (unless you're doing it in a City-like context at a firm like Farrer & Co or Withers, where the salaries are still very good).

Hope you find this useful. Good luck!
Reply 2
Thank you so much for your answer! It surely did help:biggrin:
Honestly i know nothing about law etc. but some useful advice in general is because your international, be ready to do much more then uk students to get inas they have limited spaces. basically be ready to be much better then the average uk applicant( i dont know what it is for law?!).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Xetemt
Hi,

After this summer vacation I will be starting my first year in the IB program. Therefore, within two weeks I have to submit the subjects I wish to study. I am from Sweden and my aim is to study law in the UK, preferably in Cambridge. I am aware that it is very tough to get into that university but I am willing to work extremely hard in order to achieve my dream.

I am writing this thread since I have some questions that I hope will be answered.

First of all, the subjects that I want to choose are:

Swedish A Sl
English B Hl
Mathematics Sl
Chemistry Hl
Biology Hl
Economics Hl

Is this a good combination for law? I am choosing 4 Higher Levels since Eng B Hl might be considered too easy. I also know that it is better to have History since it is an essay based subject, but isn't Economics also an essay based subject?
Furthermore, some of my friends says that it is better to choose an additional seventh subject since top universities (like Oxford and Cambridge) seek for the most outstanding students. Is that true? Should I choose a seventh subject?

(PS: I might have posted this in the wrong forum, but this is my first day and thread in this site)

Deeply thankful for serious replies,
Xetemet

Law genuinely has no preferred subjects and there are entrants who have done only science subjects as well as only Arts ones. Your IB S levels are a little like offering AS levels so the fact you have English/Swedish is fine. Economics at A2 is an essay subject (unlike at University), I don't know if this is true for IB. Don't you also have a TOK essay or similar?

If you are aiming for Cambridge you will probably need to be predicted 7,7,7, 40s overall and at least achieve 7,7,6. So you may want to choose the subjects you enjoy most and are good at to maximise your chances of achieving that. Cambridge are less bothered about additional subjects than high grades in what you offer. Use the extra time to read around your subject, attend external lectures & pursue your law interest.
Reply 5
Thanks for the answers!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending