Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I'm just entering 3rd year BSc Econ and looking for modules I can maximise my score in, been doing a bit of research but can't seem to find any advice on EC317 (labour econ) and EC313 (industrial econ)-- so if anyone's done these your input will be highly appreciated.

Also I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about EC315 International Econ so any clarification on that would be very useful!

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rextra)
    Hi everyone,

I'm just entering 3rd year BSc Econ and looking for modules I can maximise my score in, been doing a bit of research but can't seem to find any advice on EC317 (labour econ) and EC313 (industrial econ)-- so if anyone's done these your input will be highly appreciated.

Also I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about EC315 International Econ so any clarification on that would be very useful!

Thanks!
    EC317 was revamped last year to make it "more difficult" but I knew a guy this year who said it was fairly simple, lots of econometric analysis akin to the EC220 class work if you did that. Apparently the exam itself was nice this year too so it would be a good choice if you need those Firsts or 2.1s

EC315 used to be the go to "easier" module in the past given its popularity. Again they're trying to make it more difficult and it certainly was this year at times - a lot of models to learn some of which are very poorly explained and the class work can be difficult as a result. No exam solutions to LT either. I found it interesting but difficult due to the poor lecturing, was probably my least favourite module. That said the exam seemed incredibly difficult but myself and a few people I know all came out with very decent scores so perhaps the new marking system isn't much more strict than before, despite what they said.

I don't know much about Industrial, apparently it's lots of micro based firm optimisation and principal agent problems etc, not my thing. I'd recommend EC303 too if you want an easier choice, the LT material is very, very similar every year and although the MT lecturer changes each year, it's usually not too difficult. Plus next year I think MT is being lectured by some new professor in the department who is meant to be a rising star, so that could be cool.

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Outsanity)
    EC317 was revamped last year to make it "more difficult" but I knew a guy this year who said it was fairly simple, lots of econometric analysis akin to the EC220 class work if you did that. Apparently the exam itself was nice this year too so it would be a good choice if you need those Firsts or 2.1s

EC315 used to be the go to "easier" module in the past given its popularity. Again they're trying to make it more difficult and it certainly was this year at times - a lot of models to learn some of which are very poorly explained and the class work can be difficult as a result. No exam solutions to LT either. I found it interesting but difficult due to the poor lecturing, was probably my least favourite module. That said the exam seemed incredibly difficult but myself and a few people I know all came out with very decent scores so perhaps the new marking system isn't much more strict than before, despite what they said.

I don't know much about Industrial, apparently it's lots of micro based firm optimisation and principal agent problems etc, not my thing. I'd recommend EC303 too if you want an easier choice, the LT material is very, very similar every year and although the MT lecturer changes each year, it's usually not too difficult. Plus next year I think MT is being lectured by some new professor in the department who is meant to be a rising star, so that could be cool.

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps
    Thanks !

ReputationRep:
    hi, would you also happen to know about ec333?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 6, 2014
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.