Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I give myself this 5k time? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just ran a 5k in 28 mins (I'm no good at distance I know) but the last mile (3rd mile) was downhill, in parts a very steep downhill so I could go faster and relax most of the way.. Did it in 8.2 min so do I still allow myself the time lol? To be fair the second mile was in parts slightly uphill on a slanting road (did it in 9.2 mins) I don't know whether to give myself the time as it's a pb but I feel like I cheated:/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by civilstudent)
    Just ran a 5k in 28 mins (I'm no good at distance I know) but the last mile (3rd mile) was downhill, in parts a very steep downhill so I could go faster and relax most of the way.. Did it in 8.2 min so do I still allow myself the time lol? To be fair the second mile was in parts slightly uphill on a slanting road (did it in 9.2 mins) I don't know whether to give myself the time as it's a pb but I feel like I cheated:/
    Yes but note down that it was partly downhill.

Do you run different routes or the same one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    Yes but note down that it was partly downhill.

Do you run different routes or the same one?
    The same one really but sometimes I go the other way round

ReputationRep:
    If you're running from one point to the same point then you've averaged the same altitude, so it's fine.

ReputationRep:
    The same one really but sometimes I go the other way round
    You should try running the same route, same way round as it'll help when you try to compare times. Or try comparing times for the route depending on the way round you run.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    You should try running the same route, same way round as it'll help when you try to compare times. Or try comparing times for the route depending on the way round you run.
    Yea well the other way around I did it in the same time but I stopped once to get my breath (was half way up that very steep hill that gives me the advantage when going the other way) I stopped the timer too for about 40 seconds when I stopped so that wasn't valid. I just feel like a cheat going downhill even though I've ran uphill too.

ReputationRep:
    it depends, if you started and ended at the same place (or close to) then you will have done as much uphill as downhill so I say it counts, if you ran one way along a route so overall it was downhill then your time doesn't count (except to compare to future runs along the same route)

generally I think you will run slower times on hillier routes as you don't gain as much going downhill as you lose going uphill (I don't anyway)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.