Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm really interested in doing an adult nursing course at university, starting in September 2015. I need to start applying to universities really soon, but I'm struggling to narrow down my favourite uni's. I like the look of Kings College London and York so far... Does anyone who is hoping to study nursing have any favourites?
    Also, is there any particular books people would recommend that might help in interview situations?

Thank youu!!

ReputationRep:
    In terms of the best universities that is all on you and how you feel about each one. I have been to unis that have seemed great but hated the feel of the place and others I underestimated until I went there. I have known people who went to UWE Bristol who said it was quite good. Hope that helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    im going to be studying adult nursing in September. The research that I conducted was going to some open days not all cos I was still at college. My main questions were when i was looking and researching are: how many days a week the course is?. I know that Kings college London is a five day course and the other university i looked at for example like Bucks new university was a 2 day course I think. It depends on the type of person you are like if you prefer to work independently in your own time. Or you prefer to be in university for a week. (not like school where it is 9-3 everyday but like a couple of hours a day).

in my opinion the best university is very subjective choice, depending on the type of person you are, different universities may appeal to you. i know a lot of people who study at a Russell group university but don't do to well in the exams/coursework. They get caught up in the university reputation that they feel that they don't need to work.

Remember that applying and getting an offer is only half the battle, it is obtaining your offer with the grades or the conditions that you need to finish the battle. And when you are at university you still have to work hard.

ALWAYS keep in mind that you want to be the best nurse you can be.

University preparation I have done was:

-Write pros and cons of the university that you like and calculate travel and accommodation.
    -talk to people
    - Making a list of questions of possible questions they might ask you such as
    -Why do you want to study nursing?
    -Why your branch and not any others?
    -what experiences do you have in the healthcare setting/ or any experience you have and why want have you learnt from them?
    -What other hobbies do you have? At some university they ask you to say something not nursing related for an icebreaker. it looks awkward and gives them the wrong impression to the interviewer.
    -The 6 C's (Google this)
    -they asked me the question (tell me about yourself)
    -The main issues in the media about nursing (look in the nursing time magazine and the nursing standard magazine you can buy one at WHSmith)
    -With all the questions that you have written done make detailed answers for them and practice, because when you are in an interview it is easy to forget everything. Don't memorise it word for word but have a good idea of what you should say. ( remember in English GCSE. -point,explain, example, and link) these are the type of answers you should give to the interviewer.
    - the interviewer looks at everything as soon as you open the door and pass over your documents and sit and wait, they are looking for people who are sociable. everybody is nervous and the worst thing you can do is sit alone. IF you see someone sitting by themselves go talk to them it would help ease your nerves and there's as well.
    -for the numeracy test look at the snap NHS website:http://www.snap.nhs.uk/demo_info.aspx
    - group interviews- make sure you SAY something even if they if say "I agree with you" and explain why. there were some people in my interview that didn't say anything but had to be asked and encouraged by the interviewer to contribute. This is a big NO-NO. Don't dominate the conversation and don't fall into the background.

Hope this helps
    sorry this is so long
    good luck for September
    x

ReputationRep:
    That is a realy useful post vivaviolin, I dont think I can add anything to it lol. I had the choice of 3 universities, DMU Leicester, Derby and Nottingham. I chose DMU as my insurance choice as it's a good university, then Nottingham as it does have a good reputation and it is a member of the Russell group...However I opted for a different campus being that there will be 240 adult nurses starting their first year next month.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suemarie)
    That is a realy useful post vivaviolin, I dont think I can add anything to it lol. I had the choice of 3 universities, DMU Leicester, Derby and Nottingham. I chose DMU as my insurance choice as it's a good university, then Nottingham as it does have a good reputation and it is a member of the Russell group...However I opted for a different campus being that there will be 240 adult nurses starting their first year next month.
    Thanks Suemarie, it took me a long time to write it lol

Nottingham is a really good university good luck there
    i cant wait for the September I am nervous and excited and the same time. i put Bucks new university down as my insurance as it is 30 minute bus ride away and i put kings as my first choice. Fingercrossed I get any place.

Are you wanting for results, if so GOOD LUCK

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vivaviolin77)
    Thanks Suemarie, it took me a long time to write it lol

Nottingham is a really good university good luck there
    i cant wait for the September I am nervous and excited and the same time. i put Bucks new university down as my insurance as it is 30 minute bus ride away and i put kings as my first choice. Fingercrossed I get any place.

Are you wanting for results, if so GOOD LUCK
    I got my results last week (access course) better than I expected lol. Good luck with yours too.

I initially chose Nottingham uni but was unsuccessful, yet their Derby campus didn't fill their places last year. So I applied through UCAS and got interviewed and accepted for Nottingham university at Derby (it's a right mouthful as many people asume you are talking about Derby university.)

Distance was an issue for me as I have children who will both be at school in September and suffice to say DMU was just too far and would have cost £10 per day return just for university, where as Nottingham is a short train journey and a bus journey away.

I too am really excited, but nervous.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.