The Student Room Group

I did double award science and not triple, is there anything to catch up on?

Hi

I'm taking physics and chemistry for A levels next year but I only did double award science (CIE) at GCSE.
I was wondering if there is any catch up to do from triple science. I am confident in my ability to pick things up quickly. However I know that being in a new environment (changing school as well as city) makes me perform worse from my experience from 3 years ago. And I don't want to fall a single bit behind from the beginning so while I have nothing to do during summer holidays I wanna prepare as much as possible.

So if there is any topic that is not covered in double but is covered in triple, please let me know. http://cie.org.uk/images/94872-2014-syllabus.pdf
Original post by C0balt
Hi

I'm taking physics and chemistry for A levels next year but I only did double award science (CIE) at GCSE.
I was wondering if there is any catch up to do from triple science. I am confident in my ability to pick things up quickly. However I know that being in a new environment (changing school as well as city) makes me perform worse from my experience from 3 years ago. And I don't want to fall a single bit behind from the beginning so while I have nothing to do during summer holidays I wanna prepare as much as possible.

So if there is any topic that is not covered in double but is covered in triple, please let me know. http://cie.org.uk/images/94872-2014-syllabus.pdf

I did double and not triple, then went on to do biology and chemistry a level. I never came across any topics in AS or A2 that had been covered in triple and not double. I don't think not doing triple put me at a disadvantage at all so you should be fine:biggrin:
Hi again trouble; I can't go into specifics because I didn't do triple science myself but I would suggest that Unit 3 chemistry would be the most useful thing for you to skim over. Familiarise yourself with the concepts of stoichiometry and writing equations as well as the mole concept. Generally triple science students were a lot stronger with their calculations to begin with. Best of luck
Reply 3
Original post by Robocop656
Hi again trouble; I can't go into specifics because I didn't do triple science myself but I would suggest that Unit 3 chemistry would be the most useful thing for you to skim over. Familiarise yourself with the concepts of stoichiometry and writing equations as well as the mole concept. Generally triple science students were a lot stronger with their calculations to begin with. Best of luck

Hahaha hi again
Ohhh that actually is a quite a bit of problem.
we had different teacher for the first term of Y10 and there was a confusion between the previous teacher and the other teacher. The current teacher thought the previous teacher covered it already and so she didn't cover it. Then close to exams I realised looking through the specification that I haven't done the whole topic on moles...but we were running out of time... so my teacher printed out notes and we went over in 45mins...lol And didn't have time to go over myself, unluckily it came up in exams and I guessed myself through (though I think I got 1 out of 2 moles Qs right haha)

Ok I think I will look at it again...i sucks though I don't have my textbook as it was rental :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Georgia22
I did double and not triple, then went on to do biology and chemistry a level. I never came across any topics in AS or A2 that had been covered in triple and not double. I don't think not doing triple put me at a disadvantage at all so you should be fine:biggrin:

Ah ok :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok, well not sure/not really bothered by it but i'll send you something useful via PM.

Quick Reply

Latest