The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JordanC55
Doesn't quite feel real yet!

Lol - it soon will!

I was in denial/disbelief until the first day of term ...

It will all be real soon enough! Atleast with an unconditional offer you definitely know where you are heading, where you will be living etc so that's one advantage over those sitting exams.

Start looking forwards now and enjoy!
Guys, am I correct in thinking that if I don't want to apply for a loan then I don't need to bother with student finance, and instead just get on with the NHS bursary application? TIA for any replies!
Original post by AmyPilot
Had no January exams either - my course is slightly different as I have done 3 of the 4 first year SLT modules and one Foundations of Psychology as its the joint course - next year its one SLT and three psychology units. Finish off my SLT units with 2015 intakes. Done phonetics written exam its linguistics tomorrow followed by bio sciences and ending with a psychology exam.

Weird how they all operate differently isn't it? (I know mines a little odd as its a joint honours course but even so).

Yes its hand washing, fire awareness etc. Has to be done before allowed on placement.

Placement is in a special needs school but with NHS SLT team.

Oh yeah, forgot about that - so do you only do four modules a year? Yeah I think they're all different, even though we need to learn the same stuff!
Hmm, at least you get specially allocated time for that - we had to do a bunch of online units!
Ooh good luck with placement, sure you will love it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Butterfly9595
Oh yeah, forgot about that - so do you only do four modules a year? Yeah I think they're all different, even though we need to learn the same stuff!
Hmm, at least you get specially allocated time for that - we had to do a bunch of online units!
Ooh good luck with placement, sure you will love it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its broken down into 4 parts yes - but the areas include more than one thing grouped together. That's how the SLT side is set up at MMU and then of course I have the pure psychology side too which weaves in through each year.

We had to do a bunch of online units too in our own time - the teaching bits include other elements I think. Not paid much attention to it yet - focusing on all the deadlines/exams.

Good luck with the exams and take care
Original post by JaaySLT
Guys, am I correct in thinking that if I don't want to apply for a loan then I don't need to bother with student finance, and instead just get on with the NHS bursary application? TIA for any replies!

Yes if you don't want the reduced loan from SFE then its just the NHS bursary application you need to do.
Original post by aimeen93
Hiya,

Getting shadowing experience is difficult as they prioritise NHS students already going the course for placements.

Therefore, I'd recommend volunteering for local charities associated with speech disorders. The most common are stroke association, headway, home start (but more so dealing with families with extra needs), and dementia cafe. Id recommend buying an introductory book to speech and language therapy from Amazon, as you might not source them at your local library. Also getting help and advice leaflets for parents and carers, which are free from doctors and hospitals, to give you more of an insight.

As for the childcare, theres a part time option at BCU, which you may find more suitable than full time.

That's great thank you so much for your reply
Original post by shropshirelass51
I haven't tried the bus yet, but plan on having a dummy run before so will let you know how I get on. Shifnal's quite a bit nearer but unfortunately the trains aren't as frequent as the more mainline stations. I don't know if you have discovered it yet but there is a student ticket you can get that covers the West Midlands, which seems to work out cheapest if we have to go in most days. I'm just hoping for local placements-in the 2nd and 3rd year!

Yeh please do! Ah thats a pain luckily the wellington trains are quite regular at least. I hadnt found that ticket but i'll take a look thanks (anything that saves a bit of money i'm keen for :smile: ) , i think we'll be in four days in the first year if i remember right? Me too, I'm hoping they'll take into consideration that we are commuters!
Original post by JaaySLT

I've just applied for the bursary, I'm not applying for student finance either. Have you heard anything from BCU yet, I had an email yesterday asking me to send in evidence of all my qualifications again!
The DBS is gonna cost me 50 quid :frown:
The DBS is gonna cost me 50 quid :frown:

Wow - you have to pay for your own - the uni don't pay?

What uni is this?
Original post by naimah_786
What uni is this?

Jordan is going to DMU
Jordan is going to DMU

Oh ok that's unusual the uni isn't providing the fees for it
Oh ok that's unusual the uni isn't providing the fees for it

Think much earlier in the thread someone said Marjon don't pay either (but could be wrong).

Where are you going?

I'm at MMU and they paid for mine last year.
Think much earlier in the thread someone said Marjon don't pay either (but could be wrong).

Where are you going?

I'm at MMU and they paid for mine last year.

hmm might be the case. oh yhh....I've firmed Manchester university lets hope they pay I haven't looked into it yet
hmm might be the case. oh yhh....I've firmed Manchester university lets hope they pay I haven't looked into it yet

They were my insurance choice last year and I don't remember any mention of them not paying the fee so fingers crossed. If you are in the middle of exams then good luck!

Yeah mad isn't it! I dunno why they're making us do it now and then the occupational health form as well! All due by the 26th June! We don't start till the 28th Sept so it's weird.
What uni is this?

As Amy said, I'm going to dmu.
Yeah mad isn't it! I dunno why they're making us do it now and then the occupational health form as well! All due by the 26th June! We don't start till the 28th Sept so it's weird.

If those with conditional offers have to pay this early it seems a bit harsh! Just got home for the weekend after having done three of my exams. Planning on a little rest (which I deserve after bio sciences this morning) before the final push next week! Oh you have so much to look forward to next summer lol!

I'm at Manchester, they didn't charge us for the DBS last year :smile: I presume it hasn't changed!

Quick Reply

Latest