The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AmyPilot
Will look out for the bright hairbands then but there are so many people in that class - sure its a bigger intake this year! I am the tiny one - if the weather is bad I will be wearing a red coat with fur around the hood - may have glasses on too. Sure we will manage to find each other at some point lol.

Pleased you are enjoying it so far - next week the real work begins :smile:

I'm pretty sure we will, and I think I know who you are... I had a feeling lol.im dreading the real work beginning, im already demented with 2 assignments haha
Good to hear you are happy but you n higlet need to wear your usernames so I can figure out who you are! See you in class on Monday!

Haha I haven't figured out who you are either!
But I'm the one with the curly hair and fringe - Not sure that helps haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Higlet
Haha I haven't figured out who you are either!
But I'm the one with the curly hair and fringe - Not sure that helps haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well my description is set out in post to nesca above so wont repeat it! At least our group is a little smaller so you might spot me more easily.

Hope we do manage to find each other at some point it would be nice to actually meet in person.

Thought about you last week when I had a chill night in watching Disney dvds.

How are you finding things?
Well my description is set out in post to nesca above so wont repeat it! At least our group is a little smaller so you might spot me more easily.

Hope we do manage to find each other at some point it would be nice to actually meet in person.

Thought about you last week when I had a chill night in watching Disney dvds.

How are you finding things?

The best kind of night!! I definitely need to meet you hah!!

Good thanks! Honestly, to start with I was really overwhelmed as all the 'mature' students seem to have had so much more experience and were rattling off so much info about autism and hearing problems from situations they've worked in and I was like 'I literally know nothing. I've just done A levels!'
But I think now some of the proper stuff has started I'm feeling better about it all!
How's psychology this year for you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Higlet
The best kind of night!! I definitely need to meet you hah!!

Good thanks! Honestly, to start with I was really overwhelmed as all the 'mature' students seem to have had so much more experience and were rattling off so much info about autism and hearing problems from situations they've worked in and I was like 'I literally know nothing. I've just done A levels!'
But I think now some of the proper stuff has started I'm feeling better about it all!
How's psychology this year for you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah you will have to join us for a movie night!

Yeah it is a bit overwhelming at the beginning as you adjust to studying at uni. I still think I know nothing at least as far as life experience is concerned! In truth I am usually with the mature students - another way it will be easier to spot me lol!

The psychology seems good (except the statistics bit - hate maths) - really looking forward to it. Tuesdays are hell though - lectures from 9-5!
Guys! There's like 8 guys on my course! DMU were on a proper lad hype!
Original post by JordanC55
Guys! There's like 8 guys on my course! DMU were on a proper lad hype!

Take it your happy then! Great news :smile:
Take it your happy then! Great news :smile:

Yeah! It's just well weird like it blew all the other year's minds they only have 1 or 2 per year
Original post by JordanC55
Yeah! It's just well weird like it blew all the other year's minds they only have 1 or 2 per year

We have 5 - but 8 is really great news!! A really positive sign!!!!
Nice to hear that there are so many guys at DMU. Six guys started at Newcastle last year across both the undergraduate and master's programme (one UG dropped out). But we are back to only one guy this year (on the master's degree). As far as I am aware there are only seven guys altogether over all four undergraduate years and two postgraduate years, and one of those undergraduates is only there because he took time off the course. If he was off then there would be only one undergraduate year group with any guys (mine)...

It is quite sad really.
Reply 3990
Hi, im intrested in SLT but dont know which access course is sautiable plz help me
Thanks.
Original post by meessa
Hi, im intrested in SLT but dont know which access course is sautiable plz help me
Thanks.

It depends on your background and whether you need to complete the full course (i.e. study full time). I only had to take one module in human biology as I had studied previously. The best combination of modules if you have to take the full-time route are ones that cover human biology, maths (they might call it quantitative methods or lump it together in some sort of research methods type course), psychology and English language.
Reply 3992
Original post by meessa
Thanks.

I did the Access to Health and Social Care course. This was 50% biology and 50% health-related (not counting IT and Study Skills). I already have a degree but both BCU and DMU wanted me to complete the full course as it had bern a long time since I studied. I am now at BCU!
Reply 3993
Original post by mrsrev
I did the Access to Health and Social Care course. This was 50% biology and 50% health-related (not counting IT and Study Skills). I already have a degree but both BCU and DMU wanted me to complete the full course as it had bern a long time since I studied. I am now at BCU!

Was it a completely unrelated degree? I also have degree level qualifications and above but was just told that I needed A level equivalent in the last five years.
Hi guys,
I am a student applying for 2016 and wanted to ask you current students/recent applicants some questions. Around when did you send your applications? Also did any of you study a BTEC, as it seems like most SLT applicants take all A Levels and I'm worried that taking a BTEC might affect my application. Thank you guys so much, and hope you future SLTs enjoy your course! 😊😊
Original post by chingling
Hi guys,
I am a student applying for 2016 and wanted to ask you current students/recent applicants some questions. Around when did you send your applications? Also did any of you study a BTEC, as it seems like most SLT applicants take all A Levels and I'm worried that taking a BTEC might affect my application. Thank you guys so much, and hope you future SLTs enjoy your course! 😊😊

Hi! I'm currently in my 1st year, and am a 'school leaver'; having studied A Levels. I sent my application off really early - my school pushed for potential healthcare students to send their applications in by the October deadline, and I really just wanted to get my application in before all of the heavy A Level workload kicked in!!

I personally don't think studying a BTEC will hinder your application - although I'd recommend (if you haven't already) you look at the entry requirements of individual unis, just to make sure that they do accept the qualification.

Also, on my course, there are students with a variety of qualifications - A Levels, Access courses, Irish Leavers Cert... There's a wide mix!

I think that as long as your BTEC is relevant to the course in some way, and you show that you have some knowledge and interest in the field, then I'd say you should be fine! Again, I reciprocate that you should check with individual unis before applying to them, just in case!

Sorry for the long-winded reply! Good luck with your application!!! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rhimair
Hi! I'm currently in my 1st year, and am a 'school leaver'; having studied A Levels. I sent my application off really early - my school pushed for potential healthcare students to send their applications in by the October deadline, and I really just wanted to get my application in before all of the heavy A Level workload kicked in!!

I personally don't think studying a BTEC will hinder your application - although I'd recommend (if you haven't already) you look at the entry requirements of individual unis, just to make sure that they do accept the qualification.

Also, on my course, there are students with a variety of qualifications - A Levels, Access courses, Irish Leavers Cert... There's a wide mix!

I think that as long as your BTEC is relevant to the course in some way, and you show that you have some knowledge and interest in the field, then I'd say you should be fine! Again, I reciprocate that you should check with individual unis before applying to them, just in case!

Sorry for the long-winded reply! Good luck with your application!!! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh I see. I'm aiming to send mine off next week. I'm trying to arrange am adults' SLT shadowing before I do it, but yes before the A2 workload kicks in!
I think I'm good for the uni's I'll be applying to as they want 320-360 UCAS points or equivalent.
Thank you for reply! Hope you're enjoy8ng the course.
Reply 3997
Original post by Jo-sie
Was it a completely unrelated degree? I also have degree level qualifications and above but was just told that I needed A level equivalent in the last five years.

I did a BEd in History which I used for 18 years of teaching and had completed a post-grad certificate in special needs. My access course was instead of an A level as I didn't want to do the OU route and nowhere locally would enrol students over 19 on A levels.
Reply 3998
Original post by mrsrev
I did a BEd in History which I used for 18 years of teaching and had completed a post-grad certificate in special needs. My access course was instead of an A level as I didn't want to do the OU route and nowhere locally would enrol students over 19 on A levels.

That's a shame but it sounds like it worked out fine in the end! I've ended up doing a diploma in child psychology distance learning, much cheaper than OU!!
Hey guys! Just wondered if anyone could help me, I've just graduated with an english degree with a 2.2 and was looking to apply for a speech and language uni course (bcu and mm idealy) but my a levels are a bit naff... Would I need to undertake an access course or would my degree suffice as it's kind of relevant? All my a levels are art related also so no biology :frown: I have a gcse in it however... Really want to be considered but not sure how to go about it and would really appreciate some advice if possible! Many thanks im advance!

Quick Reply

Latest