The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by giteena_v
aww im guessing it's going to be the same for me as well :frown:
im worried, i have my first ever interview at mmu :/ so i have no idea what to expect.
But i hope you did well and wish you the best :smile: xx

Just try not to worry, you'll be ok and they make you feel really welcome. Good luck :smile:
Reply 561
Original post by amypewwy
Hi!
I have my interview on the 3rd December for Manchester Met and 10th for Manchester and I am so nervous.
:frown:
Also, I applied to Reading and within a few days of applying they offered me a place for an additional course- "Psychology and Language Sciences"- did this happen for anyone else?:frown:

Same!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Oaisy
No, I don't think you need to worry. I'm currently doing a degree in English Language and TESOL and have been told that it works in my favour, but have no where near as much experience with you. Reading your post has really worried me actually! If you can't write down what you've learnt then I'd be a little worried if I were you.. I think they're mainly looking for an understanding of the role and concepts so as long as you can write about that you should be okay. Where have you applied to? Post or undergrad?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I am worried! I could go on and on and on about it all, what I've learned and what I think, but I think I'm worried because I haven't done this sort of writing for years and I don't feel like I even know what the question is that I'm trying to answer. I suppose that's the problem. I think I do need to know more about the role of an slt to know if I've understood it right, I've only spoken to a couple of slts and they worked in the same area as me so I think I should find out more about the other roles an slt has and skills they need.
I'm applying for undergrad, Reading and BCU. You?
Hi , can any one tell me if Leeds Beckett and MMU have written or face to face interviews. I didn't manage to get to the open days and listen to the SLT talks.
Original post by schmee2
Well I am worried! I could go on and on and on about it all, what I've learned and what I think, but I think I'm worried because I haven't done this sort of writing for years and I don't feel like I even know what the question is that I'm trying to answer. I suppose that's the problem. I think I do need to know more about the role of an slt to know if I've understood it right, I've only spoken to a couple of slts and they worked in the same area as me so I think I should find out more about the other roles an slt has and skills they need.
I'm applying for undergrad, Reading and BCU. You?

I wouldn't overthink it too much - I reckon your personal statement should show our enthusiasm and should refer to your relevant experience and skills and knowledge of the role (have you read the book A Career in Speech & Language Therapy its pretty useful) - I applied last year whilst still doing A levels with hardly any real practical experience and I got an interview at all my choices. Good luck
Original post by nesca89
I like the uni yes, it was just different because the questions weren't what I expected. But I was able to complete them.... Commence the waiting game haha

1 down just 4 to go!

I looked for nervous folk today but I must have missed you all lol

Good luck
Original post by AmyPilot
1 down just 4 to go!

I looked for nervous folk today but I must have missed you all lol

Good luck

Yeah I'm not too nervous about the rest :smile: we were on floor 2 hehe
Original post by AmyPilot
I wouldn't overthink it too much - I reckon your personal statement should show our enthusiasm and should refer to your relevant experience and skills and knowledge of the role (have you read the book A Career in Speech & Language Therapy its pretty useful) - I applied last year whilst still doing A levels with hardly any real practical experience and I got an interview at all my choices. Good luck

Oh thank you! The book is already in the post, found it second hand at a great price the other night, so I'll definitely have a look through before finalising my ps. Thanks
Original post by jk1995
Congratulations! When did they send you the questionnaire? You must be so excited!! :biggrin:

Aw thank you so much, it was so unexpected cos it's so early!!! I don't remember exactly but the deadline for it was around the 12th November :smile: x
Reply 569
2 interviews down and just waiting on Leeds Becket!! I'm beginning to wish I'd applied to 4 speech therapy courses and 1 linguistics rather then 3 and 2 but I was too pessimistic about my chances! Just waiting on Leeds Becket to see if I've got an interview now!

It was so nice to chat to everyone I met at manchester met today and Birmingham City on Monday!! I hope everyone gets the offers they want and that in 3/4 years time we'll all be competing with each other to snatch a job :biggrin:
Original post by evantej
I wish I had a visiting clinician instead of the member of staff I had for my individual interview!

Haha! I'd like to know how their admissions works. It must be a points system? and a "yes, no or maybe" at interview. I suspect I was in the "maybe" pile until the very last minute, to be honest. Others were offered places long before me!
Original post by Clivia
This is really really useful advice, thank you, especially as I'm applying to Sheffield as a mature student of a similar age as you. I also didn't do that well in my a-levels equivalent (abroad) but got a first in my BA degree, linguistics with a focus on language pathology, and lots of relevant additional modules. It was a bit humiliating to enter all of my awful a-levels into the ucas system though.
Are you in your first year? How long did it take for you to get offered an interview?
Sheffield is great indeed, I moved here last year and love it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really wouldn't worry about Alevel results. A super relevant degree like yours (and experience and passion that you can reflect on) is far more important, I'm sure! I'm in my first year, yes. I applied quite late as the decision to retrain was one that I had to be 100% sure on (I think around January?). I got offered an interview for Sheffield in February and didn't get my place confirmed until April/May time I don't think? It doesn't sound so long like that but when you're playing the waiting game it feels like years. Particularly when the direction of the next four years of your life is at stake!

I have a friend applying for the course at Sheffield in September too. Maybe I should put you both in touch! :smile:
Reply 572
Got an offer from Reading today, I'm so excited it was my first choice :smile:
Original post by anomea

Congratulations :smile: When did you send off your questionnaire! Aw that's so good!!!
Reply 574
Original post by Dancer32014
Congratulations :smile: When did you send off your questionnaire! Aw that's so good!!!

Thanks, I sent it off early November, I was a little surprised as I thought they interviewed.
MMU were really nice and welcoming, questions were different to what I expected though aha!
Still haven't heard anything from Sheffield, I sent my application off in September aaaaa x
Original post by Ellice97
MMU were really nice and welcoming, questions were different to what I expected though aha!
Still haven't heard anything from Sheffield, I sent my application off in September aaaaa x

You should give them an email, I messaged them and they got back to me and told me I had an interview. When do you think we will hear back from mmu? I hate waiting, I was having nightmares last night about being rejected haha
Reply 577
The uni of manc written interview questions completely threw me, wasn't expecting them at all :/
Original post by nesca89
You should give them an email, I messaged them and they got back to me and told me I had an interview. When do you think we will hear back from mmu? I hate waiting, I was having nightmares last night about being rejected haha

What did you email them saying? And um think between February and march, it's super scary x
Original post by anomea

Well done, I got one too and it's my first choice too :biggrin: I didn't think we'd hear from them so early!!

Quick Reply

Latest