The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I'm really worried about being able to get onto a speech theraoy course. For AS I got:
b English language (3 ums off an A)
C psychology (1 ums off a B, I also got a high B in the 60% paper and then a high D in the 40% paper, so I'm resitting the D)
c English literature (5ums off a B)

I know this year that I can pull this up to ABB/AAB and my teachers agree and say they will predict me this however I'm worried unis will just see the BCC and think I have no chance. Any tips or suggestions?
I'm thinking if applying to
uni of east anglia
leeds met
manchester met
plymouth
Original post by Higlet
I'm really worried about being able to get onto a speech theraoy course. For AS I got:
b English language (3 ums off an A)
C psychology (1 ums off a B, I also got a high B in the 60% paper and then a high D in the 40% paper, so I'm resitting the D)
c English literature (5ums off a B)

I know this year that I can pull this up to ABB/AAB and my teachers agree and say they will predict me this however I'm worried unis will just see the BCC and think I have no chance. Any tips or suggestions?
I'm thinking if applying to
uni of east anglia
leeds met
manchester met
plymouth

I think as long as its obvious on your UCAS application that you are still working towards your a-levels, and then if you complete a successful interview; there is no reason why you wouldn't be given a conditional offer. Have you met the correct entry requirements for your GCSEs as I learnt last year that the universities can be extremely picky about this x
Reply 42
Original post by nesca89
I think as long as its obvious on your UCAS application that you are still working towards your a-levels, and then if you complete a successful interview; there is no reason why you wouldn't be given a conditional offer. Have you met the correct entry requirements for your GCSEs as I learnt last year that the universities can be extremely picky about this x

Thank you! And I have a C in science GCSE so I'm only applying the ones that will accept me as a lot ask for a B, fingers crossed I'll get some offers! I'm terrified I won't!
Original post by Higlet
Thank you! And I have a C in science GCSE so I'm only applying the ones that will accept me as a lot ask for a B, fingers crossed I'll get some offers! I'm terrified I won't!

Applying for this course is very scary, i got rejected from Man Met because i had a C and not a B. But this year they have changed the requirements to a C which is good. Some universities however, like the University of Manchester, their GCSE requirements are a guideline. They state B on the website but I still had an interview with them and was rejected my understanding of SLT and not my educational background.

What is your first choice uni? x
Reply 44
Original post by nesca89
Applying for this course is very scary, i got rejected from Man Met because i had a C and not a B. But this year they have changed the requirements to a C which is good. Some universities however, like the University of Manchester, their GCSE requirements are a guideline. They state B on the website but I still had an interview with them and was rejected my understanding of SLT and not my educational background.

What is your first choice uni? x

Oo that's really good! I'm gutted about most uni's wanting a B! I didn't know speech therapy was for me at GCSE and when I discovered it it was too late to re do my GCSE's!
I'm not sure yet,
I really like the course in Plymouth but the uni itself looked a bit..old and battered with not much else happening! I like the look of Leeds met or Manchester met! I'd love to go to Manchester but I am just worried about me waisting a spot on ucas when I don't have a B in science GCSE!
I think Leicester de Montfort will be my back up uni!
I'm also looking into East Anglia, but I haven't visited the uni yet.

Can I ask what the interview questions were like!? I'm worried about that too!! X
Original post by Higlet
Oo that's really good! I'm gutted about most uni's wanting a B! I didn't know speech therapy was for me at GCSE and when I discovered it it was too late to re do my GCSE's!
I'm not sure yet,
I really like the course in Plymouth but the uni itself looked a bit..old and battered with not much else happening! I like the look of Leeds met or Manchester met! I'd love to go to Manchester but I am just worried about me waisting a spot on ucas when I don't have a B in science GCSE!
I think Leicester de Montfort will be my back up uni!
I'm also looking into East Anglia, but I haven't visited the uni yet.

Can I ask what the interview questions were like!? I'm worried about that too!! X

Yeah I was in the same position when I was at school, I wanted to be a Counsellor so just focused on that but changed my mind a few years back! I e-mailed Manchester Uni to ask them if it would hinder my application only having a C and not a B in Science, and they said my access course would more than cover it so I will be ok. Are you doing a Science A-level at all?

The interview questions are all really varied and i assume like last year, people said its not really allowed to say what the questions are exactly. But I think as long as your passionate about doing it and you've done your research then there is no reason why you wont get in :smile: x
Hi everyone! Good luck to those still applying this year!

I've already made a separate thread for this, but I thought I'd add it here too!

I'm a recent SLT graduate, and I was wondering if any of you prospective SLT students would like me to post videos on a vlog about what's like to be a SLT student.

Please tell me whether you think this is a good idea, and possible topics/areas for me to talk about in my vlogs!
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Hi everyone! Good luck to those still applying this year!

I've already made a separate thread for this, but I thought I'd add it here too!

I'm a recent SLT graduate, and I was wondering if any of you prospective SLT students would like me to post videos on a vlog about what's like to be a SLT student.

Please tell me whether you think this is a good idea, and possible topics/areas for me to talk about in my vlogs!

Hello :smile: I think that is a fab idea. It would give us a better idea of what it's like to be at university and maybe guide those who are a little unsure about whether or not it is for them. I think it would be useful to know what some students favorite part of the degree program are/were and maybe their least favorite thing. Maybe what its like to be in placements and any tips on getting into university :smile: that's all i can think of for now hehe x
Original post by Higlet
This would be a fab idea! I'd love to know the interview process as I'm nervous about that, and I'd also like to know about placements & if you have to travel long distances how you managed to pay for travel & if you were at placement for a block time if the uni/NHS paid for accommodation near your placement x

I know the uni pay for your travel to placements so therefore wouldn't need to pay accommodation as you can travel. All universities are different with placements, some are block and some are one day a week etc. You would have to look at the uni website to see what they do :smile: x
Original post by Higlet
This would be a fab idea! I'd love to know the interview process as I'm nervous about that, and I'd also like to know about placements & if you have to travel long distances how you managed to pay for travel & if you were at placement for a block time if the uni/NHS paid for accommodation near your placement x

Original post by nesca89
I know the uni pay for your travel to placements so therefore wouldn't need to pay accommodation as you can travel. All universities are different with placements, some are block and some are one day a week etc. You would have to look at the uni website to see what they do :smile: x

Hi guys, I'm glad you like my idea! Next week I will start filming and uploading videos based on your ideas, and I'll post a link once I've done that.

Just a quick note though, no university will pay for travel and accommodation for you with regards to placements. That's a common misconception. The NHS will reimburse a certain percentage of accommodation and 23p a mile for petrol costs (and full parking costs), but you need to pay for it all yourself first and then send them a claim form. I'll explain all this in a bit more detail in my videos, but I thought you should know now, hence the note. :smile:
Reply 50
Hi guys, I'm glad you like my idea! Next week I will start filming and uploading videos based on your ideas, and I'll post a link once I've done that.

Just a quick note though, no university will pay for travel and accommodation for you with regards to placements. That's a common misconception. The NHS will reimburse a certain percentage of accommodation and 23p a mile for petrol costs (and full parking costs), but you need to pay for it all yourself first and then send them a claim form. I'll explain all this in a bit more detail in my videos, but I thought you should know now, hence the note. :smile:

Thank you so much for that! I can't wait for your videos to be up so we can all learn more! :smile:

Thanks these videos would be really helpful, I cant wait to watch them 😊
Reply 52
Hi all,

I just thought I'd flag this funding issue up for any allied healthcare students from England looking to study in Scotland.

http://www.qmu.ac.uk/welcome/FundingAHP.htm

You will not be eligible for any NHS bursary or grant on top of the maintenance loan.

For me personally I could study in the England and get approximately £6000 per year in bursary/grant/loan to live on, but in Scotland I would only be entitled to approximately £3000 per year to live on :mad:

I'm not trying to put anyone off, its just that I was totally shocked when I found out and am very pleased I found out before applying!
Original post by madagascar
Hi all,

I just thought I'd flag this funding issue up for any allied healthcare students from England looking to study in Scotland.

http://www.qmu.ac.uk/welcome/FundingAHP.htm

You will not be eligible for any NHS bursary or grant on top of the maintenance loan.

For me personally I could study in the England and get approximately £6000 per year in bursary/grant/loan to live on, but in Scotland I would only be entitled to approximately £3000 per year to live on :mad:

I'm not trying to put anyone off, its just that I was totally shocked when I found out and am very pleased I found out before applying!

Didn't think you were entitled to anything other than NHS bursary (£1000 for everyone with additional monies on a means tested basis) and a reduced student loan (approx. £2300). I live in a low income family so entitled to the maximum - NHS bursary amount depends on the number of weeks the course runs for. I am getting around £6,000 a year.

I would be entitled to more money if I did a "standard" degree (split between a government grant and loan) but obviously the debt would be bigger too at the end of the course. Obviously there are no tuition fees to pay as the NHS takes care of that.

I will be studying in England - I know Wales and Scotland are funded via their health funding bodies but I don't imagine the amounts vary dramatically.

The NHS site has a bursary calculator if you want to check how much you would get - no doubt the Welsh and Scottish ones do too.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi everyone!

Just started my SLT student vlog, and the first video is up now (even though it's not that exciting)! I'll be uploading more now that I have a filming schedule in place, so please subscribe, like etc.

SLT Student Vlog

Hope you enjoy watching my videos!

/End of shameless self-promotion. :wink:
Hi :smile: I'm applying for SALT 2015. I've just sent my UCAS application off last week :biggrin:
I have applied for Cardiff MET, Birmingham City, University of Manchester and Manchester MET.

I'm a mature student currently studying Psychology MSc.
Just wondering when people usually hear back from uni's? I can't remember how long it took me to hear UG.

Thanks! :smile:
I'm sending my UCAS form off next wek and also applying to BCU. Will let you know if I hear anything. Good luck and hopefully we may meet up at an interview (fingers crossed!)
Original post by shropshirelass51
I'm sending my UCAS form off next wek and also applying to BCU. Will let you know if I hear anything. Good luck and hopefully we may meet up at an interview (fingers crossed!)

Good luck! Yes definitely - I'll let you know when I hear as well :smile:
Original post by jredwards21
Hi :smile: I'm applying for SALT 2015. I've just sent my UCAS application off last week :biggrin:
I have applied for Cardiff MET, Birmingham City, University of Manchester and Manchester MET.

I'm a mature student currently studying Psychology MSc.
Just wondering when people usually hear back from uni's? I can't remember how long it took me to hear UG.

Thanks! :smile:

Last year most interviews started from November time. I applied to Manchester and ManMet (plus Leeds and Sheffield). Went to first interview at Manchester on 4 December (the first date they offered) - got interview at ManMet early January - I sent my application in early November I think. Manchester didn't give results until all interviews were done at end March but ManMet seemed to make offers as they went along. Can't help with Birmingham or Cardiff as I didn't apply there but think the timescale was similar.

Good luck!
Reply 59
hi guys do i have any future in speech and language therapy
As results
D in psychology (i am retaking one module)
DISTINCTION in BTECH applied science
A in Urdu language

Quick Reply

Latest