Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why was it expected for alpha radiation to pass through the Plum Pudding model? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm watching a lecture right now about the discovery of the nucleus, and apparently it was expected for a-particles to pass through the plum pudding atom in Rutherford's experiments. I know what the backscatter proves, etc, but the one thing I don't understand is why alpha radiation is expected to pass through?

a-particles are positively charged, and the pudding part of the atom is positively charged. So why did Rutherford expect all radiation to pass through the gold foil? Shouldn't it be expected that the radiation is deflected by the positive charge?
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Rutherford's experiments were to test the plum pudding model, namely, the theory that an atom is a sphere is positive charge with negatively charged electrons dotted around the outside. He used Alpha particles because he knew they were positively charged, and so he wanted to test what happened when he bombarded the gold foil with them. He didn't know they were going to get through, that was the whole point of his experiment. Since some of the atoms got through, but only a tiny minority deflected, Rutherford concluded that only a tiny part of an atom is positively charged, with the rest being mostly empty space, and so they threw out the idea of the 'plum pudding' model (in favour of the nuclear model), which would have yielded different results.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.