The Student Room Group

Self Studying A Level History?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Abdo332
hey guys. I'm an international student from Syria whose going to take his A Levels this year. I am going to take three fast track A Levels as that's how our school organizes it. I'll be doing Maths,Economics and History. My question is will I be able to cope with self studying history? I'm taking both AS & A2 in May/June. How hard will it be? I love history and do not mind all the reading and memorizing..the only thing nagging at me is the essay technique. I'm not particularly great at writing essays and the A Level essays I've read so far have been so fantastic that I've been thoroughly convinced I won't be able to do it. Is it THAT hard? My goal is to achieve at least a B. Any advice would be helpful. PS: I'd have all the books that I need however I won't have any teacher to guide me and assign/mark essays :l

Hi! I self studied History A-Level and it's perfectly doable! It's not that hard (for me anyway) but it is challenging. The essay technique does take a while to grasp, but what I did is that I read countless numbers of examiner reports to see what they were looking for, especially for the coursework. What exam board are you taking? I did Edexcel so I can help you out if you want (reading essays etc) :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by justanotherindigo
Hi! I self studied History A-Level and it's perfectly doable! It's not that hard (for me anyway) but it is challenging. The essay technique does take a while to grasp, but what I did is that I read countless numbers of examiner reports to see what they were looking for, especially for the coursework. What exam board are you taking? I did Edexcel so I can help you out if you want (reading essays etc) :smile:

Hey! Thank you so much for your reply and willingness to help, really nice of you. I'm doing CIE and have just started the French Revolution. And like you, I believe the essay technique is what really complicates things.

I've heard from a bunch of people that the examiner report are REALLY useful!
Original post by Abdo332
Hey! Thank you so much for your reply and willingness to help, really nice of you. I'm doing CIE and have just started the French Revolution. And like you, I believe the essay technique is what really complicates things.

I studied the French Revolution last year (A2 level)! How are you finding it so far? I would also advise that you look at mark schemes as well. Like I said before, if you want your essays to be read then you can send me a PM. Good luck! :smile:
Original post by Abdo332

hi abdo. hows your studying for history going? which components are you doing?
are you sitting for AS this year in november?
Reply 24
Hello, I was reading through this thread as I have also been looking for more study material. I noticed you said you have the CIE May/June 2014 papers. Could you possibly PM them to me as well? I have been searching for them for almost a year and I haven't been able to find them. I would really appreciate it.
Reply 25
Original post by AndrewGrace
It is do-able definitely, difficult but not impossible, but you will definitely need someone to assign + mark essays. Someone on TSR (Myself included) would be willing to help with essay technique + mark for you (i study history at university and will be doing teacher training in the next couple of years). Out of curiosity which exam board would you be studying with?

hi :smile: if you're on or something and are willing to help id very much appreciate that! I'm doing 20th century Britain (1964-90) and China 1900-76 (sources unit)
Reply 26
Original post by justanotherindigo

i'll be doing edexcel as well as an external candidate, heard that having some statistics can be useful! if you're willing to help i could pm you?
Hi,
I know this thread is old, but does anyone know how to self study A Level History as a private candidate, and get the coursework graded??

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending