Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is attitude to learning really that important? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    There's this new thing in my school where we get graded on our attitude to learning by our teachers for each subject. You get 'outstanding' , 'good' , 'satisfactory' , 'unsatisfactory' and 'cause for concern'. I usually get 'satisfactory' and 'good'. We get graded depending on things like how much we participate and enthusiasm I think. Some people say your attitude to learning is equally as important as your grades and that there's no point having really good grades when your attitude to learning is rubbish. What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nadine_08)
    There's this new thing in my school where we get graded on our attitude to learning by our teachers for each subject. You get 'outstanding' , 'good' , 'satisfactory' , 'unsatisfactory' and 'cause for concern'. I usually get 'satisfactory' and 'good'. We get graded depending on things like how much we participate and enthusiasm I think. Some people say your attitude to learning is equally as important as your grades and that there's no point having really good grades when your attitude to learning is rubbish. What do you think?
    It's teacher code for behaviour. If you are messing around, you won't learn and you'll stop others from doing so. Quite important, in my view. Your 'attitude to learning' is a large part of what will make up your references for universities and jobs. If universities and employers see your attitude is poor, they will go instead for someone whose attitude is better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    It's teacher code for behaviour. If you are messing around, you won't learn and you'll stop others from doing so. Quite important, in my view. Your 'attitude to learning' is a large part of what will make up your references for universities and jobs. If universities and employers see your attitude is poor, they will go instead for someone whose attitude is better.
    But what about those who don't mess around and get on with the work but don't put up their hand and contribute?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nadine_08)
    But what about those who don't mess around and get on with the work but don't put up their hand and contribute?
    It's a signal that maybe they should contribute more to get more out of it. These grades a very blunt instruments and struggle to cover all possibilities, as you would see if you had ever tried to apply them to a very mixed bunch of people in one class.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.