The Student Room Group

Medicine Personal Statement Feedback

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Neostigmine
I think you'd find you were quite right.

Sad times. PS help was a really happy little community while it was bustling but still small enough to survive as a cottage industry; the tea room probably isn't the friendliest thread on TSR anymore.
Original post by Fission_Mailed
There was some quite heavy **** from some people, and I can't imagine it got any better after I gave up. Wouldn't be surprised to hear that some of the old guard have packed it in, too.

You would be surprised at quite how many, myself included.
It's a rather touchy subject at the moment so I am reluctant to say much other than see what the powers that be announce on the 1st of September.

:sad: :cry:

I was quite shocked to see what is coming for PS Help, I did not see it going that way.

The thing that got me the most is how bad the changes are going to be for Medicine applicants, as there will be very little in the new plans which would actually be that useful to med school applicants. Other than the getting started stages anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

I feel the same way. I wouldn't be happy with volunteering my time for free if they're going to charge people for it. It's ridiculous that they expect to profit from us.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by Hippokrates

I feel the same way. I wouldn't be happy with volunteering my time for free if they're going to charge people for it. It's ridiculous that they expect to profit from us.

Wait they want the helpers to provide a paid service for free ?!?
I am not just saying that cause well for the helpers but if I am person paying I expect a higher/more quality/time spent on the feedback and therefore with helpers being free expectations may not match the reality. In my very small opinion, I think TSR are really mucking this up ... I do know very little so feel freer to enlighten me

Original post by t()m
Wait they want the helpers to provide a paid service for free ?!?
I am not just saying that cause well for the helpers but if I am person paying I expect a higher/more quality/time spent on the feedback and therefore with helpers being free expectations may not match the reality. In my very small opinion, I think TSR are really mucking this up ... I do know very little so feel freer to enlighten me

No, the currently helpers won't be doing reviews for free while TSR get paid. There are some outside teachers coming in to do it and they will be paid. I don't know how much I am allowed to say about it, but also this thread is now wildly off topic!
They have said though (if I remember rightly) that it's fine for people to still offer help with Personal Statements on an individual basis. I would certainly be happy to. I do think that medical personal statements are fairly specific in their content and that actually you can't replicate that easily. If you don't have first hand experience of medicine then it's more or less just hiring somebody to issue generic advice about spelling.

That being said, I don't know if people offering to help individually is sustainable for long. When you think back to how many PS's went through that forum and how many people there were helping, having one person being bombarded would basically just lead them into some sort of melt down. Ain't nobody got time for that.
No, the currently helpers won't be doing reviews for free while TSR get paid. There are some outside teachers coming in to do it and they will be paid. I don't know how much I am allowed to say about it, but also this thread is now wildly off topic!

LOL. I don't know about other schools but my teachers were actually trying to harm my personal statement with their terribly misinformed advice. I doubt they'll be good at it.
LOL. I don't know about other schools but my teachers were actually trying to harm my personal statement with their terribly misinformed advice. I doubt they'll be good at it.

:sadnod: I know. I have mentioned this.
Reply 29

Yeah a lot of people don't know what a medical PS should contain... I used school for more a general view/ grammar
Reply 30

THIS.

The advice from my (private and supposedly expert) school was horribly wrongheaded. I was asked to be a medicine PS helper but had to decline as couldn't commit to the time. I rather regret it now if a few more volunteers could have saved the service. I think many of us would be happy to help on an individual basis, but I don't see how that can be organised with any measure of safeguarding for the applicant.

I await developments with baited breath.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending