Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    Just looking for some advice. I'm on a gap year at the moment, got A*AB in English Lit, Bio and Chem at A Level last year. My mum passed away in my AS year so resat a Chem exam this June to boost my B to an A. Due to the extenuating circumstances, I hold a conditional offer from Liverpool, depending on the Chemistry A.

Basically my question is, if I miss the A and still just have a high B and they don't accept me, I'm going to ring up on results day as, obviously, what have I got to lose? However, I'm currently in South Africa volunteering at a game reserve so any calls to the UK are expensive, so I want to have a good idea of what to say to persuade admissions to accept me before I call up, rather than flailing. I figure having my personal statement to hand will be useful, so I can emphasise my stronger points as an applicant, as well as maybe my potential? And how close the B was to an A (if it is?) and show my passion and desire to get in and work hard etc? Anyway, yeah I was just hoping someone on here could suggest how I should go about convincing them, from experience or not. Thanks everyone in advance! :-)
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    You can perhaps write a script for you to read out or some bullet points that you wish to say perhaps? You seem to have a good idea of what you will have to say. At the end of the day, whether they accept you for narrowly missing an offer really depends of there are spaces on the course when results day comes. Best of luck on results day, hopefully you will get in. My condolences to you as well.

ReputationRep:
    I am not much help as to what to say on results day. On the one hand I agree that it is perhaps not the highest chance in the world that they would have a spot, as I think many unis offer more spots than they have, knowing some people won't accept. However on the flip side as you said what have you got to lose? I personally know someone that got a 'no' turned to a 'yes' strictly through commitment and persistence (travelled a long way to his vet school to take to the dean). So other than suggesting you demonstrate this commitment and persistence (and maturity), I am not much help.

What I did want to ask is if you have Skype to call landlines/cellphones from your computer? I personally have found this a MUCH cheaper way to call long distance. Occasionally I have had connectivity/muddled connection issues, mainly with calling offices as oppose to personal people for some strange reason, so perhaps worth checking out first. Or similarly an international calling card. I used Skype-pay-as-you-go throughout my time in vet school (Canadian vet student in Scotland so calling my grandmother in Canada biweekly).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.