Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ed Miliband calls for a public Prime Minister's Questions Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ed Miliband told the BBC that the public should have a chance to question the Prime Minister regularly in a PMQs format in the Palace of Westminster.

Labour said the proposed "Public Question Time" would be held once a fortnight and possibly weekly in Parliament, if permitted by the Speaker.

Those asking questions "would be chosen by a method to ensure a wide representation of the country and political backgrounds".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28509014

ReputationRep:
    he really is getting desperate now.

ReputationRep:
    Can't see how that could possibly work.

ReputationRep:
    I think if made possible, it'd be a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    How about we have a public what my job is? I'll still get paid, but the public can do my work for me. Ha ha ha.

ReputationRep:
    I approve of this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Well you get people in, they ask questions and the Prime Minister answers. Quite simple really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacob-C)
    Well you get people in, they ask questions and the Prime Minister answers. Quite simple really.
    How do you avoid bias in the sample? How do you/Do you compensate people for having to miss work? How do you work around legitimate security concerns?

I'd also be willing to put money on the fact that Miliband would never have come up with this had he been PM. This is nothing but feeble point scoring. It's lazy. He's admitting that he's not being effective enough in PMQs and so other people should do it for him.

ReputationRep:
    Not a totally obsurd suggestion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Stupid idea really. It'll just be like the questions in the general election debates.

"That's a great question Susan, and the reason the NHS is ****ed up is because of the Tories don't blame me."

"That's an excellent question Andy, and the reason you don't have a job is that Labour ****ed up the economy when they were in power".

I can bet there'll be planted questions and, if not, the PM will avoid the question altogether.

More point-scoring by Miliband. Next week he'll promise sweets to every child whose parents vote Labour in the upcoming election.

ReputationRep:
    How do you avoid bias in the sample? How do you/Do you compensate people for having to miss work? How do you work around legitimate security concerns?
    All of your concerns here do not stop the possibility of the idea working, they are just challenges which need to be addressed in order for the idea to work.

He's admitting that he's not being effective enough in PMQs and so other people should do it for him.
    We have a Prime Minister at the moment who doesn't even answer the questions, often choosing to take a dig at the opposition party in his replies.

ReputationRep:
    All of your concerns here do not stop the possibility of the idea working, they are just challenges which need to be addressed in order for the idea to work.

We have a Prime Minister at the moment who doesn't even answer the questions, often choosing to take a dig at the opposition party in his replies.
    But they still require answers.

And that's what PMQs is. That's what it's always been. That's how both parties have always dealt with it. Rather than Miliband saying let's introduce a new system (a system he'd never introduce if it were him being PM), why not say let's reform how parliament is done? That would be far more sensible, far easier, far cheaper and would make PMQs work. It's the behaviour of all politicians in the chamber that make PMQs idiotic and shambolic.

Don't randomly start a new way of questioning if it's the act of questioning that's broken, because there's no reason whatsoever to assume any new questioning would automatically be better.

ReputationRep:
    Don't randomly start a new way of questioning if it's the act of questioning that's broken, because there's no reason whatsoever to assume any new questioning would automatically be better.
    PMQs is only effective as a form of scrutiny on the executive if the Prime Minister actually answers the questions put to him/her. The current one doesn't.

ReputationRep:
    PMQs is only effective as a form of scrutiny on the executive if the Prime Minister actually answers the questions put to him/her. The current one doesn't.
    The current one isn't special. Don't act like PMQs now are any different to PMQs in the past.

But again, if you don't like the way he's answering questions, why add more questions? That's all this plan does. That's why it's pointless. He's only going to carry on answering them the same way. Reform the questioning process instead.

ReputationRep:
    Imagine the Murdoch-indoctrinated public being able to question Ed Milliband as a PM. It wouldn't last more than a few weeks.

I also seem to recall all the promises that Labour made to improve democracy the last time they got a mandate away from the Tories - remember in the late 90s/early 2000s when Britain was transformed into a robust social democracy by a popular PM with the most solid mandate in British history? Oh yeah, it didn't happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    How about we have a public what my job is? I'll still get paid, but the public can do my work for me. Ha ha ha.
    (Original post by martin jol)
    he really is getting desperate now.
    Are people really complaining about the extension of democracy? Jeez.

Practical issues aside - which can be easily addressed no doubt - it's a great idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Burridge)
    Are people really complaining about the extension of democracy? Jeez.

Practical issues aside - which can be easily addressed no doubt - it's a great idea.
    That's not the bit I have an issue with.

People are suggesting that because you don't get 'proper answers' in PMQs that you have this instead. But what is there to guarantee that answers to these questions would be any different?

ReputationRep:
    PMQs have always been this way. The only reply that comes to my mind was an answer from Brown which was '0%' (Cameron asked him what the increase in public spending would be).

ReputationRep:
    I want a law that forces the PM to answer the question and not read a bunch of statistics perhaps a moderator like they have in US debates.

We should still have PMQs prime ministers hate it so we should keep it to annoy them

ReputationRep:
    It should also be illegal to lie in Parliament with you facing up to 1 year in prison for contempt

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.