Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Has something that happened in your area ever made it onto the national news? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Something happened in my area yesterday evening/this morning, in a town a 2 minute drive down the road from me (i live in the main town in the area). Basically a man was caught in his flat with bombs. It has now made it onto sky news.
    Has anything thats happened where you live ever made it onto the national news?
    And if so, what?

ReputationRep:
    I made it to the news a few months ago after I was arrested for being too sexy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkred)
    I made it to the news a few months ago after I was arrested for being too sexy
    Same it happens quite often its quite inconvenient.

Other than that and the Commonwealth Games currently I've been on the news a few times... Also a few years ago on Guy Fawkes night we had a community made fireworks display and apparently it was impressive enough to make the news

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    On a darker note there was a situation with a hostage and murder with the police holding a house under siege for hours... Not good
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...t-on-fire.html
    That one was a shocker. Absolutely disgusting what they done to him.

Also a year or two ago a girl a died after falling 50ft from a roof after being drunk with friends on top of it.

ReputationRep:
    London riots
    Bomb in one of the flats
    A teenager got killed near where I live

ReputationRep:
    Epsom downs derby but that's about as good as it gets, 'tis a bit quiet around here :laugh:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I think a couple of murders have

Edit: these horrific stories examples of what lovely things happen in my town:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...r-ex-wife.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1120057.stm

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah we've had the odd murder.

ReputationRep:
    A church minister who lived at the other end of my road was briefly in the papers when he was sent to prison for paedophile acts about 15 years ago. There were reporters in the road from local and regional press asking if any of us knew anything and generally being pretty rude and offensive. One stopped me in the street on my bike with a friend and asked us if we'd ever been touched by him. That kind of thing should be an offence in itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SleepingStag)
    Same it happens quite often its quite inconvenient.

Other than that and the Commonwealth Games currently I've been on the news a few times... Also a few years ago on Guy Fox night we had a community made fireworks display and apparently it was impressive enough to make the news

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's Guy Fawkes, not Guy Fox

ReputationRep:
    That couple that fell off the balcony whilst having sex was fairly close to where I live and literally down the road from where I work. My area also was voted the least safe place in the uk or something like that.

ReputationRep:
    A doctor's wife and children died in a fire. One got out and died in hospital and the mother wouldn't leave without her children so she died.

Happened up the road from me and was on the news for a while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    Something happened in my area yesterday evening/this morning, in a town a 2 minute drive down the road from me (i live in the main town in the area). Basically a man was caught in his flat with bombs. It has now made it onto sky news.
    And if so, what?
    Hang on, I live in Derbyshire!

Where was this?!

ReputationRep:
    My town/overgrown village of a few 1000 people had it's very own vampire killer. There was even a documentary, my gran was very disappointed not to make the final cut but I saw the roof of my house in a fly over shot.

Susan Boyle is from a few miles from me, if that counts. We've had a few others from within a few miles get into the finals of talent shows which is probably disproportionate given the population.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    And if so, what?
    Yesterday there was a riot at a prison about 10 mins away from me. Made Sky News, although, nothing to brag about that's for sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauren1981)
    It's Guy Fawkes, not Guy Fox
    That is a very good point and I have just gone red in the face...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A girl I knew in high school became the 2012 Olympic taekwondo gold medalist, now Flint has a gold postbox and renamed the pavillion after her. Quite happy to have known Jade Jones

ReputationRep:
    I live in East London so...

ReputationRep:
    Dev Patel , the main character in slum dog millionaire was a friend of a friend , who went to a school literally opposite my house. Also Raheem sterling once played in a Fifa tournament with my mates. Lived in the same neighbourhood , this is was before joining Liverpool.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.