Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am looking to apply to do a three year English Language course at university and am wondering what sort of 'off curriculum' sort of things I should be doing? My ultimate aim is to become an English teacher at a school or college. I do some writing outside of college i.e. articles and stuff but am wondering what else would boost my application?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR06)
    I am looking to apply to do a three year English Language course at university and am wondering what sort of 'off curriculum' sort of things I should be doing? My ultimate aim is to become an English teacher at a school or college. I do some writing outside of college i.e. articles and stuff but am wondering what else would boost my application?
    Thanks
    Heya, just bumping this thread in the hopes that someone will see it!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR06)
    Thanks
    That would boost your application quite a bit. I know I mentioned I wrote poems and songs and have them be published in competitions and etc. I also wrote about my work experience in a school and how English was taught and all that kinda stuff.

You don't need to go berzerk over anything, but just extra wider reading into linguistics is also a good place to start. If you are interested in education, you can perhaps do what I did a shadow a HoD and look at how they use English in a professional and personal matter, and devise a conclusion on how English is important in today's professional and personal world.

ReputationRep:
    Is there any opportunity for you to help younger students in your school with their English work? Alternatively there is a charity called Beanstalk which pairs volunteers with children in local primary schools to help them with their reading. Volunteering always looks good on a uni application but relevant volunteer work is even better!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.