Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Applying for English Language watch

I am looking to apply to university soon to study English Language with the ultimate aim of becoming an English teacher or a sports journalist. Apart from writing articles and placing them on my blog, what other things could I do to boost my application to university?
    Also, what is the best way to get a piece of writing published? This is something I'm really struggling with at the moment.
    Thanks very much for any help.

I study English Language and Literature and from your questions, I am not sure you fully understand what is taught on the course. I study at Northumbria University and the course there involves modules such as;

- Understanding English Grammar
    - Approaches to Language Study
    - Language and Society
    - History of English

This is not a complete list, but these are the modules I have studied and the modules focus very much on the theory behind language such as nouns and other types of words, sentences, the evolution of language, how language is understood in society such as values and stereotypes of accents etc...

From what you said in your question I would say that you would be best suited to a Journalism course, based on your desire to get your writing published and that you write articles etc, this would seem to me more suitable.

I may be wrong, and I may have totally misunderstood what you were asking, if so I apologize. I hope this in some way helps - good luck! Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.