Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Thailand alone Mid August- Mid September. Watch

lh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnegie118)
    TSR travellers,

I'm taking my first solo travel to Thailand from around August 28th to September 18th and I'm wondering if any other solo travellers would be interested in meeting up.

Obviously having a few pre solo travel nerves so any advice or route tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Good on you man. Don't worry so much about making arrangements to meet up with people beforehand. It's nice to meet up with people, but not necessary. Southeast Asia is one of the easiest places to meet people, especially if you're on the backpacker route.

I imagine you'll probably fly into Bangkok, so here's what I suggest. Since you'll probably be a bit overwhelmed at first, you might want to stay in Bangkok for a couple of days, even if it is pretty grimy. Get a taxi to Khao San Road if you want to meet other backpackers, and just find a hostel/guesthouse to dump your stuff in. The cheaper ones are a couple of roads away from Khao San, and still should be busy enough to meet people since you're going in peak season.

It's worth doing a couple of tours when you start out, so you don't have to sort much out and you can meet other people. Once you're more comfortable, it's often easier to arrange stuff yourself.

I would definitely go to the southern islands. Some are very touristy, but are a lot of fun and easy to travel. If you do stuff like diving courses, you might find you make amazing friends and spend a lot of your travels with them. If you go to Koh Phangan for the full moon party, prepare to get absolutely lashed because that island is pretty much just about partying. Be warned, there is no culture to be found in those places though.

The north is also great. Try and get yourself to Chiangmai or the surrounding areas and do some jungle trekking. If you go with the right guides you get to meet some truly secluded tribes and see some amazing things.

Have fun dude, wish I was back there

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.