Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    There is often a section on TC apps where they ask you if you have had to resit any exams.

If you have resat an AS exam for example, would you need to declare this or does this refer to retakes (i.e. re-doing the whole subject)/ LLB modules?

I have no mitigating circumstances but the exam in mind, was a one off (i.e. a bad day) and not at all a reflection of my ability. I don't want it bringing down my chances but neither do I want to be intentionally dishonest, particularly as you need to show law firms your transcripts/certificates later on.

Any advice/experiences would be sincerely appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aldente)
    There is often a section on TC apps where they ask you if you have had to resit any exams.

If you have resat an AS exam for example, would you need to declare this or does this refer to retakes (i.e. re-doing the whole subject)/ LLB modules?

I have no mitigating circumstances but the exam in mind, was a one off (i.e. a bad day) and not at all a reflection of my ability. I don't want it bringing down my chances but neither do I want to be intentionally dishonest, particularly as you need to show law firms your transcripts/certificates later on.

Any advice/experiences would be sincerely appreciated.
    I guess it comes down to the semantics of the question. There is a difference in being asked 'Have you ever resat an exam?' and 'Have you ever had to resit an exam?'. The 'had' in the second question implies it was mandatory to resit the exam in order for your studies to progress to the next level. I would say such a question is geared more towards someone failing a university module and being asked to resit the module (in whatever its guise is) to be accepted into the next year of study. Whereas I think students have only ever voluntarily re-taken an AS exam or two to boost their initial grade to make the task easier at A2.

The main difference between resitting an AS module and a university module is that (unless because of a mitigating circumstance) someone only ever resits a university module because of poor performance. It's wrong to assume someone resits an AS module because of a poor performance. For example, I retook an AS module which I got an A in (a low one) simply because I felt a) I could do better and b) it would make the A2 exams less stressful. No one can turn round and say I performed objectively badly in that exam. My point is that you can cogently form an argument, if questioned on your answer to the resitting question, why you felt resitting an AS exam did not fall under the question of whether you have ever had to resit an exam before. I would therefore not include it under the question of 'Have you ever had to resit an exam?'

If the question is simply 'Have you ever resat an exam?', then I guess it's much harder to argue against not ticking the box for your AS exam. You're correct in thinking that honesty is the best policy, but it's ultimately down to you. AS and A-level certificates simply give your final grades for the subjects you've taken; they provide no indication of whether the grade in question was obtained after the first attempt or, say, four more.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.