Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Making the impossible possible Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

I am a final year medical student and after repeating my previous years several times I lost all confidence. I now want to focus on my final year and leave medical school with distinctions (i.e. over 80%) but I don't want to be unrealistic. The main reason for this is that I have failed so many times and took resits that my experience in medical school has been full of negative memories. If I leave with high marks then its something positive to remember in my final days of medical school. I got really high marks on my resits (some around 93%) but this is automatically capped to 50%. I was wondering if anyone has heard of similar experiences and whether this is possible?

I appreciate your help

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering if anyone has had similar experiences rather than approval. Is there still chance to turn things around with the finals in approximately 8-9 months?

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, no. An above average student who's consistently scored 70-80% at first attempt may get a merit or just barely scrape a distinction. I'm sorry to be harsh but the reality is you've had to repeat several years all of which, I presume, have led to your marks being capped at 50%. To get a distinction with several 50% is, in my opinion, impossible. Medical school has a weighting system so even if you do get top scores in your final year it can only contribute that much to your overall ranking.

Distinctions are meant to be an acknowledgement of one's academic prowess, and unfortunately that is not consistent with failing several exams (as harsh as it sounds). In reality, a distinction is unlikely to make a huge difference to your career provided you make the most of the years to come and build up your CV properly. It's really not the end of the world. 90% of doctors don't get a distinction after all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Da CorrupteD KiD)
    To be honest, no. An above average student who's consistently scored 70-80% at first attempt may get a merit or just barely scrape a distinction. I'm sorry to be harsh but the reality is you've had to repeat several years all of which, I presume, have led to your marks being capped at 50%. To get a distinction with several 50% is, in my opinion, impossible. Medical school has a weighting system so even if you do get top scores in your final year it can only contribute that much to your overall ranking.

Distinctions are meant to be an acknowledgement of one's academic prowess, and unfortunately that is not consistent with failing several exams (as harsh as it sounds). In reality, a distinction is unlikely to make a huge difference to your career provided you make the most of the years to come and build up your CV properly. It's really not the end of the world. 90% of doctors don't get a distinction after all.
    Thank you for your honest opinion. The distinction apply only to the final year exam module which includes both mcqs and osces. I know subscribing to online mcqs and practising osces (with friends or by yourself) can improve marks but wasn't sure how much by.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by selenag123)
    Thank you for your honest opinion. The distinction apply only to the final year exam module which includes both mcqs and osces. I know subscribing to online mcqs and practising osces (with friends or by yourself) can improve marks but wasn't sure how much by.
    I see. Sorry I overlooked the fact that some medical schools have a different way of conferring distinctions (or perhaps it wasn't a degree distinction you were talking about)

In which case yes, you can do it. Practising MCQs and OSCEs are great but to do extra well in MCQs you do need to know the OHCM inside out especially if you're going for a distinction. Not sure if there's anything more you can do other than that really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Da CorrupteD KiD)
    I see. Sorry I overlooked the fact that some medical schools have a different way of conferring distinctions (or perhaps it wasn't a degree distinction you were talking about)

In which case yes, you can do it. Practising MCQs and OSCEs are great but to do extra well in MCQs you do need to know the OHCM inside out especially if you're going for a distinction. Not sure if there's anything more you can do other than that really.
    Are there any books for the OSCEs that can help push up the marks? I was thinking about attending a few courses but am not sure how reliable they may be.

ReputationRep:
    Are there any books for the OSCEs that can help push up the marks? I was thinking about attending a few courses but am not sure how reliable they may be.
    You need to figure out what you've been doing wrong to fail your previous exams, and avoid that! Then figure out what you did right to pass the resits with such high marks, and do that! It sounds simple, but you've obviously got the ability to get high marks so your studying technique can't be too bad. Just find a way to pass the exams first time and you'll be grand!

ReputationRep:
    Think of it as a performance. You need to execute all the moves in order to get the marks, you get brownie points if you execute all of them with flair. Know all the tick boxes and make sure you do them every time you practise. You need to practise with at least a partner so someone can pick up the things you've missed and be honest enough to tell you as it is. Also, if you don't have time to do everything just mention verbally that you would like to do x y and z to complete your examination.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.