Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I know that it masters funding has been widely advertised for graduates - I was told myself "there is plenty of money out there just waiting to be claimed" - but after spending this last year scouring the internet, spending hours in the library, sending emails, making phone calls and hundreds of applications of financial assistance towards my masters, I have faced nothing but rejection from trusts and organisations who have said that I have not been successful due to my having a 2.1 and other applicants having had a first class degree.

Has anybody else experienced this same problem and know of any other avenues to explore at this time?

The Government really need to start supporting masters students better.

Cheers,
    Chris

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisKelsey91)
    Hi all,

I know that it masters funding has been widely advertised for graduates - I was told myself "there is plenty of money out there just waiting to be claimed" - but after spending this last year scouring the internet, spending hours in the library, sending emails, making phone calls and hundreds of applications of financial assistance towards my masters, I have faced nothing but rejection from trusts and organisations who have said that I have not been successful due to my having a 2.1 and other applicants having had a first class degree.

Has anybody else experienced this same problem and know of any other avenues to explore at this time?

Cheers,
    Chris
    Even students with firsts don't get it. If you're doing an arts subject, you are even less likely to get anything. It's back to the Career Development Loan from Barclays or the Co-Op.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Cheers,
    Chris
    Unfortunately, that is the problem afflicting many graduates out there. Thanks to an over-proliferation of graduates on the market -- May you rot in hell Tony Blair-- governments are now inclined to withdraw any financial support and up the student fees. The rationale behind this? Many students are going to university simply to party or do mickey mouse degrees (Golf Management, anyone?). I am lucky in the sense that I have won a scholarship for my master's this September, but I know many graduates who have not.

Unfortunately, Tony Blair's legacy is not going to be diminished anytime soon so you an expect little support from the government in the future.. My only advice would be to do your master's at a local university whilst staying at home with parents to alleviate some of the costs.

ReputationRep:
    I do plan to stay at my local university (Swansea Uni, for the excellence of teaching provided by the staff) but really want to move out unlike what I did during my undergrad.

Looks like arts students have a tougher time of obtaining funding but time will tell!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I know that it masters funding has been widely advertised for graduates - I was told myself "there is plenty of money out there just waiting to be claimed" -
    Whoever told you this is either entirely clueless or deliberately playing a very cruel joke on you. For stand-alone masters in any subject there is a tiny amount of funding, in which you need a high first in order to stand a chance. If you're in arts/humanities/SocSci, you'll need a high first and likely some extra stuff too (conferences, related work experience, student publications). And all the while, there will be hundreds of other grads, all just as clever and qualified as you climbing over each other in order to get at what little funding there is.

As others have suggested, do the masters you can most afford, do as well as you can and aim for PhD funding (of which there is still only tiny amounts, but much more than for masters). The key here is a distinction at masters, as high a score on your dissertation element as possible and (if possible) a conference presentation during your masters year. You'll have a chance then, but again there are far more qualified applicants that there are scholarships.

And yes, the government should do better, but they won't because Joe Bloggs sees humanities/SocSci academics as lazy left-wing eggheads who sit in ivory towers and contribute nothing to society and the political class sees any academic for whom the commercialization of their research is not the number-one goal as a waste of space. For all our envy of STEM academics, theoretical chemists and pure mathematicians have it as hard as us humanities folk. [/rant]

ReputationRep:
    All you can do is keep applying. It took me 2 years to get funding for a Masters and a further 8 to get PhD funding.

In the meantime, apply for anything that might enhance your application like Research Assistant work (no, not all of it requires a PhD or even a Masters), write/submit journal articles etc, and go to Conferences and talk to people - I eventually got my Masters funding by re-meeting an academic at another Conference, him mentioning MA funding and me following it up with a phone call. Its hard work and you do have to be tenacious. Think also about part-time or OU Masters degrees whilst working - that alone shows potential employers/PhD funders that you are very determined and dont give up easily.

ReputationRep:
    I spent many tedious hours looking for MA funding on the internet (not much funding for English Lit out there!). I was lucky enough to win two scholarships. I think it is going to be difficult for you with only a 2:1. Why not take a year out to earn some money to pay for it? That was my plan if I didn't get a scholarship. Or do an MA part time over two years, doing part time work. Or consider applying to a university with bad rankings, as the candidates for their university/departmental funding will be less likely to have stellar grades.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.