Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would people recommend travelling Europe by rail? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Thinking of travelling Europe, wondering whats the best way to get around the EU, trains?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justjake09)
    Thinking of travelling Europe, wondering whats the best way to get around the EU, trains?
    Traveling Europe by train would definitely be cheaper than flying, and it's a popular way to get around I know a handful of people who have interrailed/backpacked around a few countries in Europe on a budget, and they highly recommended it - said it's a cool experience!

Are you thinking of traveling the whole continent or only a few countries?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostbuster)
    Traveling Europe by train would definitely be cheaper than flying, and it's a popular way to get around I know a handful of people who have interrailed/backpacked around a few countries in Europe on a budget, and they highly recommended it - said it's a cool experience!

Are you thinking of traveling the whole continent or only a few countries?
    Thanks for replying! Thought it would be cheaper, which I suppose even alone is a reason to travel by train. So would you travel by train then. And as much as I could really baring in mind cost and time. Theres like 5 I definitely want to visit!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, get Eurostar ticket, go where you want! Stop in hostels because it's cheap, just beware of your possessions! This is what I'm meant to be doing next year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmertic)
    Yeah, get Eurostar ticket, go where you want! Stop in hostels because it's cheap, just beware of your possessions! This is what I'm meant to be doing next year
    Thanks for the advice, appreciate it. Me too! Sometime next year maybe next summer

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for replying! Thought it would be cheaper, which I suppose even alone is a reason to travel by train. So would you travel by train then. And as much as I could really baring in mind cost and time. Theres like 5 I definitely want to visit!
    No worries man - I'm actually planning on traveling Europe by train next summer for about a month! I have all year to save up haha.. i'm determined to make this happen though!

Which countries are you thinking of, if I may ask?

ReputationRep:
    Oh, how much are Eurostar tickets? I'll be doing this next year as well! I found a decent website for EU rail passes but I might as well compare

ReputationRep:
    No worries man - I'm actually planning on traveling Europe by train next summer for about a month! I have all year to save up haha.. i'm determined to make this happen though!

Which countries are you thinking of, if I may ask?
    Exactly like me, I think, but it all depends on the other people like when they want to go, without giving it too much thought and planning but I would really like to go to France, Hungary, Belgium, Greece and Czech Republic. They are just off the cuff though! How about you?

ReputationRep:
    Oh, how much are Eurostar tickets? I'll be doing this next year as well! I found a decent website for EU rail passes but I might as well compare

I think it was like £200. But there's options for the tickets with different restrictions and expiration times. So it really depends what you want to do!

ReputationRep:
    Exactly like me, I think, but it all depends on the other people like when they want to go, without giving it too much thought and planning but I would really like to go to France, Hungary, Belgium, Greece and Czech Republic. They are just off the cuff though! How about you?
    Ah, yeah, I planned to go with 3 other friends, but 2 had to back out. Feels a bit liberating though since it's less people to worry about (even though it would have been much cheaper to split hostel prices/food costs). We haven't decided when to head out either but it'll prolly be around mid-June.

Nice! We've got France, Greece and Czech Republic on our minds as well. We also have Italy, Croatia, Germany, Switzerland, and maybe some parts of the UK

ReputationRep:
    Ah, yeah, I planned to go with 3 other friends, but 2 had to back out. Feels a bit liberating though since it's less people to worry about (even though it would have been much cheaper to split hostel prices/food costs). We haven't decided when to head out either but it'll prolly be around mid-June.

Nice! We've got France, Greece and Czech Republic on our minds as well. We also have Italy, Croatia, Germany, Switzerland, and maybe some parts of the UK
    I've just been travelling America in a trio and 3 can be a funny number, but we survived! Me and one of them will be going as a twosome round Europe around May/June next year too. I think going as a pair is fine! You'll be fine. Like you say and less people... to fall out with haha.Your trip sounds like it will be great! If cost allows we will try and do a few more countries, Croatia, Italy - like you.

ReputationRep:
    I think it was like £200. But there's options for the tickets with different restrictions and expiration times. So it really depends what you want to do!
    the one I have in mind is about £270. I checked out the website - I think it's a bit more complex for me since I'm not in the UK, but thanks for putting it out there anyway! you're right though, depends on what you're looking for!

ReputationRep:
    I've just been travelling America in a trio and 3 can be a funny number, but we survived! Me and one of them will be going as a twosome round Europe around May/June next year too. I think going as a pair is fine! You'll be fine. Like you say and less people... to fall out with haha.Your trip sounds like it will be great! If cost allows we will try and do a few more countries, Croatia, Italy - like you.
    Hahaha that sounds awesome! Where'd you go to in the States? My old man lives there! Yeah, we think we'll manage as a duo, we want the trip to be as easygoing and chill as possible. And yeah, less people = less problems though it's nice to have at least one person you truly know with you, in case something happens. I'm actually looking forward to Croatia and Italy a lot - Croatia's supposedly really nice, can't wait to see it myself!

ReputationRep:
    the one I have in mind is about £270. I checked out the website - I think it's a bit more complex for me since I'm not in the UK, but thanks for putting it out there anyway! you're right though, depends on what you're looking for!
    Yeah my mate said the one he saw only let you go to four connecting countries. But when we checked the other day you could go anywhere, just with time limitations I'd love to spend like a month going EVERYWHERE!! But I can only get like a fortnight maybe 3 weeks off at one time :/

ReputationRep:
    Yeah my mate said the one he saw only let you go to four connecting countries. But when we checked the other day you could go anywhere, just with time limitations I'd love to spend like a month going EVERYWHERE!! But I can only get like a fortnight maybe 3 weeks off at one time :/
    Ahh okay, well good thing you guys checked again. Haha right! Going everywhere is like the ultimate dream but I'll take what I can get lol xD 2 or 3 weeks is still pretty sweet though! Have you decided which countries you'd like to visit?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ahh okay, well good thing you guys checked again. Haha right! Going everywhere is like the ultimate dream but I'll take what I can get lol xD 2 or 3 weeks is still pretty sweet though! Have you decided which countries you'd like to visit?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well we're a bit confused at the moment, because we were going to go Paris, Amsterdam, Rome, Munich and then maybe somewhere in Belgium or Denmark. But it is cheaper to get a ferry to Hamburg and start there than it is to get a train down to London to get to Paris... so it's a bit messed up at the moment haha.

Either way, they are our places we are looking in to! Yeah, lots of places to look in to! Very exciting stuff

ReputationRep:
    Well we're a bit confused at the moment, because we were going to go Paris, Amsterdam, Rome, Munich and then maybe somewhere in Belgium or Denmark. But it is cheaper to get a ferry to Hamburg and start there than it is to get a train down to London to get to Paris... so it's a bit messed up at the moment haha.

Either way, they are our places we are looking in to! Yeah, lots of places to look in to! Very exciting stuff
    That does sound a bit messed up at the moment haha, but you'll figure it out! Very exciting indeed, great choice of places! We were thinking of adding Amsterdam but decided to skip it - would've been too many cities within limited travel time. Have you been to any of those places before?

ReputationRep:
    That does sound a bit messed up at the moment haha, but you'll figure it out! Very exciting indeed, great choice of places! We were thinking of adding Amsterdam but decided to skip it - would've been too many cities within limited travel time. Have you been to any of those places before?
    Nope, never. Not been to any of those countries before apart from Germany once and France

Amsterdam is a place you have to go! Can't miss that :P It's a whole new world from what I've heard from people who have been before!

Yeah, we are going to talk to our parents about it, see what they think

ReputationRep:
    Nope, never. Not been to any of those countries before apart from Germany once and France

Amsterdam is a place you have to go! Can't miss that :P It's a whole new world from what I've heard from people who have been before!

Yeah, we are going to talk to our parents about it, see what they think
    Neither have I, though my friend and I know people in France so we'll have a free place to crash Ooh, how's Germany? I love how filthy the language sounds haha xD definitely a language I'd love to learn.

I know!! but I'll go back another time.. Next summer won't be the last Europe has seen of me. Let me know how you like Amsterdam, maybe you'll find it was a bit overrated? ;P

Sounds good! Are you also traveling in two?

ReputationRep:
    Neither have I, though my friend and I know people in France so we'll have a free place to crash Ooh, how's Germany? I love how filthy the language sounds haha xD definitely a language I'd love to learn.

I know!! but I'll go back another time.. Next summer won't be the last Europe has seen of me. Let me know how you like Amsterdam, maybe you'll find it was a bit overrated? ;P

Sounds good! Are you also traveling in two?
    Nah Amsterdam won't be over-rated Although we are only spending a few days there at max. Maybe half a week or so.

FYI, German is the easiest language to learn

Yeah, just me and my best mate for now

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.