Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is there a word to describe this particular occurrence? Watch

Deleted

ReputationRep:
    finding a word for it won't give you any comfort .
    but you could try calling that person an obnoxious piece of s**t though
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam00)
    For example when someone is getting a point or opinion across about you, in front of you, but in a way that is not direct so you can't really argue with them, and if you did argue you might appear paranoid.

One example of this could be in a staff room at work, person A dislikes person B, rather than get into a verbal argument and plainly say I think you are a repulsive person, they just say something like, eww there's a horrible feeling in this room today I don't know what it is, but I wished it would go away

Really person A was saying they don't like person B and wanted to get an offensive opinion across in a way that lets them get away with it

Is there a word or term used for acts like this?
    When someone is being indirect? The insult wasn't directed at that person B, but it has inadvertently attached to person B who person A mention. I would call that being indirect.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.