Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I will be doing my third year of an Actuarial Science degree at Cass Business School (City University London). In the previous two years, I obtained a fairly good grades (81% in first and second year) but so far I haven't done any internship at all. My school isn't famous at all in my home country, and it's really possible that I will end up working as a low class labour because of my lack of working experience. Therefore, I am thinking of doing a Master of Finance or Econ in the UK. The reason why I consider to continue my studies in UK mainly because of I haven't done much extra-curriculum activities (ECA), and I know that the admission in US do look for ECA, so the lack of ECA may be deleterious for my application. In addition, for me doing a master degree isn't merely for hunting a job, I am also interesting to learning more (yea if not then I think it's quite pointless doing a master), and may even consider doing a PhD (however, my knowledge on finance/econ is quite poor at the moment).

I am going to seek for some research experience in my final year and I hope that it will strengthen my application. On the other hand, my computing skills are relatively weak, I don't know computing language like C/C++, and my VBA isn't good as I haven't used it after my 1st year. Besides, I am an international student and my English is not good.

So, here are 2 questions I would like to ask:
    1. Will my profile be too weak for applying for programs like MPhil Finance at JBS/MSc Finance and Econ at LSE?
    2. What else can I do to strengthen my application apart from gaining some research experience? A good GRE score? Reading some Econ textbooks (I only did 1 Econ module at Uni)? Doing a strongly relevant dissertation (this may be a bit hard as my degree is in act sci)?

Thank you for reading what I have written. I hope that some valuable advice can be received.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.