The Student Room Group

What to study with a management degree?

I'm starting a Scottish Master of Arts (undergraduate level) this september at the University of Edinburgh and I'll have the opportunity to choose another subject beyond the one I applied for (management).

Therefore, I am wondering which subject would create a good combination with management. I was thinking of IR, but I'm afraid that I will struggle to find a job after having got such a degree. Is this combination a mickey mouse degree? I'm asking this, because I've read that both of them don't provide any important practical skills and therefore employers don't consider them as highly regarded degrees. Is that true?
Human Geography also interests me a lot, but its employment rates aren't better than the ones of a IR degree, I guess.

(I'd like to get a job as a manager or something of the kind, for the record. )

I was also thinking of economics, but it doesn't interest me as much as IR or Geography. On the other hand, Management and Economics is a much more respected degree I think.

What would you do? What other subjects would you suggest?
Please, don't just tell me to choose the subject that I prefer most, try to be honest.

Thanks a lot!
Reply 1
Original post by aless93
I'm starting a Scottish Master of Arts (undergraduate level) this september at the University of Edinburgh and I'll have the opportunity to choose another subject beyond the one I applied for (management).

Therefore, I am wondering which subject would create a good combination with management. I was thinking of IR, but I'm afraid that I will struggle to find a job after having got such a degree. Is this combination a mickey mouse degree? I'm asking this, because I've read that both of them don't provide any important practical skills and therefore employers don't consider them as highly regarded degrees. Is that true?
Human Geography also interests me a lot, but its employment rates aren't better than the ones of a IR degree, I guess.

(I'd like to get a job as a manager or something of the kind, for the record. )

I was also thinking of economics, but it doesn't interest me as much as IR or Geography. On the other hand, Management and Economics is a much more respected degree I think.

What would you do? What other subjects would you suggest?
Please, don't just tell me to choose the subject that I prefer most, try to be honest.

Thanks a lot!

I honestly cannot comment on IR as I've never studied it nor had any interest in it. However, as far as Management goes a solid combination (skills wise) would be something technical (I'm thinking Information Technology or Account and or Finance). But you should remember that getting a good result is far more important than what you study and I am a strong believer in the theory that you will always do better in a subject you enjoy. I thoroughly enjoyed Economics, but unfortunately never had the chance to combine it with my Management degree as I didn't have an A-Level in Maths.
Reply 2
Other opinions?
You need to start with the end in mind. Your choice should depend on your inclination or what you hope or plan to work as in the future. But, there is usually lots of flexibility in Scottish degree structure so you can always change your majors at the end of the first year, as you get to know more about the subjects. You are more likely to do very well in the subjects that you like and where your career direction is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending